Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Copy of new Star Special RTW - from 15 April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copy of new Star Special RTW - from 15 April

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 3:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
I must take this up with my TA - any recommendations about any particular ticket stock I should request or avoid?</font>
Well to be quite frank, personally I wouldn't care what stock it's on - *I* would take 016 as long as I paid on a card so I am protected, and have an insurance policy as back up, but that's just my personal opinion. Others are more naturally wary.
If you're going through an agent, then they all have what they call "preferred deals" through certain carriers. This is basically a little something extra in rebates or commissions a carrier will allow an agent if they sell bucketloads of fares/tickets on the carrier. While it's harder on RTW fares to actually do this due to the prorata way the fare is divided between the carriers involved on the itinerary, if your trip includes lots of sectors on one carrier, and that carrier has a preferred arrangement with your agent, then the agent could just prorate the ticket and get a better deal for you.
There are way too many variables in this scenario however, and it depends on how good the agent is or how much your agent cares, not least about you yourself !!
Old May 2, 2003, 10:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Exactly as Al B says. Some great agents have been known to save &gt;$200 (or more!) on Star RTW published fares. Others don't care and you get next to nothing.

It might be worth asking your t/a which carrier is their preferred (eg, Fright Centre appears to be far more buddy buddy with QF and I've known some Amex agents to also do special QF deals). If your TA says "well, for Star Alliance I get the best out of airline XX" you could counter that you'd be happy to ticket some longhauls on that carrier (if possible) and that might induce more of a discount.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.