Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LH promotion: fly 5 *-carriers = 55'000 miles bonus (other * to follow?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2002, 10:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum32/HTML/001398.html

Please post here, links (FlyerTal-discussions) to relevant 'similar' promotions of other Star-carriers.

Some of us might profit, with one (rtw?) trip, doing 2 or more segments with each of at least 5 Star-carriers, for 2 or more ff-programs (2+ times 55'000 bonus).
Old Apr 15, 2002, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks Rudi.

I've already registered for LH.

Guess we just have to wait and see if anyone follows suit. Maybe the 5 original Star partners!
Old Apr 15, 2002, 3:34 pm

Yes, Rudi, thanks for the heads up on this. In Year 2000(?), we did some great mileage accrual with OneWorld when they had a similar program (5 1W airlines for 100K bonus miles, multiple programs ok). Southeast Asia was a great\cheap region (BKK & HKG). Perhaps we can pool our experience and get this finetuned? For example, TG and SQ are obvious ones to me, UA flies SIN-HKG.. etc.
Old Apr 15, 2002, 3:41 pm

Thank you, Rudi! I just registered it, too.

I just thought about Asia runs, crankyusi.

BKK-SIN has SQ, TG and SK. (Air New Zealand code shares would probably not count.) BKK-MNL on LH and BKK-HKG on UA?

If at least another *carrier offers this promotion, I would probably buy all these round trips ex-BKK.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
The *A site has a press release that says the promotion in good with any *A mileage/loyalty program. See:
http://www.star-pr.com/aweb/n.asp?ID=aaaaaaaaaaaaabm

According to the release "The promotion period for the Star Alliance fifth anniversary offer may vary with each airline’s frequent flyer program. However, several of the carriers plan to run it for 55 days from May 14 – the day Star Alliance was founded five years ago - until July 7. The exact terms and conditions will be communicated by each member airline through newsletters, web sites and inflight magazines."

Old Apr 16, 2002, 1:32 pm

Programs: United
I assume all of the Star Alliance airlines are going to join in. I know United is. I have been mulling this over for more than a month. (I got advanced word of the promotion from one of my sources). See my post in Mileage Run from March. From the U.S., it seems awfully tough to make this economically viable as a pure mileage run.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Why is the United logo flashing on the Star Alliance site?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 4:22 am

I never noticed that Star Alliance and I have the same birthday! Do I get any miles for this?

Now... I would definitely do a Star RTW if they extend this to more than just LH; it could be a real gold (well, miles) mine

-stargold, already looking at where is the cheapest starting point for a RTW-
Old Apr 17, 2002, 8:58 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seawolf:
Why is the United logo flashing on the Star Alliance site?</font>
This is to tell you there's something "new" on the page. In this case it's a link to the 1 million mile giveaway....

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but...

This promo will be far more difficult for us NAmericans -- as well as Asian and SAmerican based members -- to complete, since we only have three STAR carriers in NAmerica [UA, AC and MX] plus RG in SAmerica. In Asia, they only have three: SQ, TG and NH. [And hey, what about our friends in NZ and Australia?] So completing this promo will require some rather expensive trips on long haul carriers -- no more "stub" Fifth Freedom routes we can take advantage of [i.e. SQ between MAN and BRU/ZUR, MAD and CDG].

Europeans have lots of opportunities to do these "stubs" as well as short jumps and multiple carrier itineraries on up to a half dozen STAR carriers [BD, LH, SK, OS and its subsidiary carriers...].

So actually, this promo discriminates in favour of our European friends! Enjoy all those extra miles, and do come over and visit us using them.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 1:43 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but...

This promo will be far more difficult for us NAmericans -- as well as Asian and SAmerican based members -- to complete, since we only have three STAR carriers in NAmerica [UA, AC and MX] plus RG in SAmerica. In Asia, they only have three: SQ, TG and NH. [And hey, what about our friends in NZ and Australia?] So completing this promo will require some rather expensive trips on long haul carriers -- no more "stub" Fifth Freedom routes we can take advantage of [i.e. SQ between MAN and BRU/ZUR, MAD and CDG].

Europeans have lots of opportunities to do these "stubs" as well as short jumps and multiple carrier itineraries on up to a half dozen STAR carriers [BD, LH, SK, OS and its subsidiary carriers...].

So actually, this promo discriminates in favour of our European friends! Enjoy all those extra miles, and do come over and visit us using them.
</font>
Actually this might be easier in Asia - since loads of Airlines do connecting flights.

But yeah - we Europeans get a soft deal - 'bout bloody time!.
Regards,
Alex
Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:05 pm

As of this date, Wed Apr 17,2002, can anyone tell for SURE if any of the other Star carriers have advertised this promotion? I only know of LH. Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:09 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
those stubs can be very expensive. as for fifth fredom rights - americans arent allowed to use that word.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sarecca:
As of this date, Wed Apr 17,2002, can anyone tell for SURE if any of the other Star carriers have advertised this promotion? I only know of LH. Thanks</font>
So far only LH has made it official on their homepage. Waiting for confirmation of the other Star Airlines and if they all join I will go for SK,AC and UA. I might even book a RTW and go for them all but I dont think so but who knows..
Old Apr 17, 2002, 3:02 pm

Any thoughts on where the lowest priced Europe origination would be on a STAR RTW? By staying under the 24hour transit limit it seem you could use some short hops to pick the bonus up in almost all of the alliance carriers.

FRA-CGN 5 flights per day each direction 84 miles each way

VIE-GRZ 5 flights per day each direction 93 miles each way

Any ideas on super short high frequency runs on UA/BM/AC/SAS?

rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.