Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Aim for UA Premier Executive or stick with AC (& achieve AC SE) ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

As an AC Basic aspiring to be either an AC SuperElite or UA 1K, but more likely will end up as an AC Elite or UA Premier Exec, (this year for) next year due to a self-induced increase in business travel, pleasure trips, & the occasional Mileage Run this year I kindly request input from fellow FT’ers who have contemplated switching allegiances to hopefully better profit from the perks of a different FF Program. Time is of the essence for me to decide where to accumulate my 2002 Q-Miles as I’m heading out this Wed 27Mar02 YVR-SEA-LAX-NRT-SIN/SIN-NRT-LAX-SEA-YVR on my first long-range mileage run.

I have been keenly following the AC FF’ers defections to UA & other airline programs of late, & as a comparison, lurking in the UA Forum to get a feel for what’s going on with the MP program. I can assure you that my recent UA YVR-LAX experience (using an AC Award) ~ UA YVR-LAX connecting with Sea Princess Mexican Riviera Cruise ~ was positively refreshing with friendly service & E+ upgrades to boot, even for a lowly AC Basic! Alas, as a Canadian I’m disturbed to be even considering abandoning our flagship airline but as a businessperson I would like to get the most bang for my buck (affectionately referred to as the Canadian Peso) as the flagship appears to be sinking.

So, in a nutshell, do I stick with AC in 2002 or jump to UA for Q-Miles accumulation?

Travel Pattern Backgrounder:

- home airport is YVR but SEA is a cost-effective alternate
- usually travel to advance-scheduled destinations (vs. last minute)
- weekend business & pleasure trips to USA, Canada, & UK usual destinations
- most of my destinations are served by AC & UA directly, with the odd requirement to connect with a Star Alliance Partner
- doing first Mileage Run (to SIN) next week ~ more to come I’m sure!
- always buy Economy ticket
- prefer lounge access

I’ve read the following threads for further input:

- Major changes in Aeroplan likely to have impact on other STAR programs
- Advice needed: Which Star Program to join?

Comparing AC Elite to UA Premier Executive the key points of contention/comparison for me are:

AC E:

- 35K Q-Miles = *Gold
- MLL, RCC, & reciprocal *Alliance lounge access
- ??? % Bonus Miles ~ all *Alliance flights
- restrictive upgrade "lottery" on high-fare class tickets only

UA 1P:

- 50K Q-Miles = *Gold
- MLL, RCC Int’l, & reciprocal *Alliance lounge access
- 100% Bonus Miles ~ UA metal only?
- 4 x 500-mile upgrade certs per 10K miles flown
- automatic electronic upgrade system on wider array of fare classes

The way I see it I may as well achieve UA Premier Executive status as this will provide *Gold & 100% Bonus Miles, in addition to the 500-mile upgrade certs & such. I could then use a DC MLL card to provide Domestic RCC access as necessary.

I’m just not convinced that AC’s long-term planning & vision is conducive to a mutually-beneficial long-term relationship. Recent actions & clawbacks of benefits then “throw a bone” mini-reversals/modifications after public outcry just don’t sit well nor instill confidence that they really value our business. I am, however, impressed with UA’s systems, upgrade opportunities, E+ seating option, competitive pricing, & less-restrictive policies & attitudes.

Hmmm… I’m almost convinced. Please help me to decide if I’m going to aim for UA Premier Executive or stick with AC (& achieve AC E) …

Thank you for your time & input.

Cheers. Dogstar.

PS. Given the urgency of a decision I am cross-posting in the Star, AC, & UA Forums in order to ensure a cross-fertilisation of input. No offense or abuse of cross-postings intended thus I am noting it here just in case.

[Edited to update hyperlinks & typo clarifications]

[This message has been edited by Dogstar (edited 03-24-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.