Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance RTW world fare - can one upgrade on 1 segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2002, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I have a business class RTW fare, issued by Air Canada - routing is Ottawa to Frankfurt to Delhi to Singapore to Vancouver, to San Francisco to Ottawa.

Would I be able to upgrade on the Singapore to Vancouver segment? If so, the fees would probably be quite steep?
Old Mar 9, 2002, 8:25 am

Who are you flying with YVR-SIN? If its SQ I would recommend you to check the SQ forum since I am not aware of SQ upgrade rules.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Yes, it is on Singapore Airlines. I put the question on this forum, because it is a RTW Star Alliance RTW ticket, and my question is specific to my circumstances, but also generic, for any other person who may want to upgrade part of a RTW Star Alliance ticket. Before checking on the Singapore Airlines forum, I would like to know if the rules for RTW Star Alliance tickets allow such an upgrade, or preclude it.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 9:39 am

Yes you can upgrade RTW tickets. Flying SK you can use EuroBonus upgrade certs and you can also upgrade parts where you are flying Air Canada with their upgrade certs, not sure about the other carriers though.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 10:48 am
Original Poster

As an Air Canada's Aeroplan member, I do not have? access to the Eurobonus upgrade certificates. Who issues these certificates, and to which type of frequent flyer passengers?

Air Canada only has business class cabins - one can not upgrade any further.

I am also flying Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Delhi; Singapore Airlines from Delhi to Vancouver via a stop in Singapore.All other flights are on Air Canada.

Note- if much of a RTW itinerary is on airlines that only have 2 classes of cabins (eg AC, Austrian, SAS), it would not make much sense to buy a first class RTW ticket.

[This message has been edited by FlyerGoldII (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 9, 2002, 10:51 am

If you are a SK EuroBonus you can use your points with upgrade your intercontinental flights. To/From US it cost 20.000 points per way and 30.000points to/from Asia. All these are for one way travel and the upgrade is on stand by basis you cant upgrade in advance.

You order these certs from your local EuroBonus office.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 3:43 pm

you can upgrade the LH segments using United miles but you need an awful lot, almost twice what you need to upgrade the United segments
Old Mar 9, 2002, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
LH segments on Star-rtw trips can be upgraded with either UA miles (only from eco to bus) or LH miles&more miles (from eco to business, or business to first).

UA segments on Star-rtw trips can be upgraded:
* on inner NorthAmerican segmetns with miles, HK49 or 500er
* other segments: only with miles from eco to business, not from business to first
(SWU upgrades, the new ones with expiry march-2003) can't be used for upgrades on Star-rtw anymore)

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 10, 2002, 12:54 am
In Memoriam

You may upgrade any segment of a *A RTW if

- have miles in the account of the airline flying that segment(or voucher)
- the resp. airline allows upgrades from the *A RTW booking class (as RUDI pointed out you may upgrade a D class segment to F with your LH miles or voucher ... UA doesn't allow upgrades from D to F)
Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:35 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
To answer the original question you cannot _pay_ to upgrade a specific sector. You can use certs/miles as per the other posts but obviously as an AC Aeroplan member you'd be governed by their rules.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 12, 2002, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I did not make my original question clear. I was wondering whether a revenue ticket can be upgraded on 1 segment only, by further payment. The last response suggests that the answer is no.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 9:04 pm
Original Member

as a general rule: you can't 'just' upgrade one-single-segment by paying for it. Fopr inner NorthAmerican segments with UA you can buy 500-er miles-upgrade vouchers (in bundles of 4).
Old Mar 13, 2002, 1:05 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
Sorry, I did not make my original question clear. I was wondering whether a revenue ticket can be upgraded on 1 segment only, by further payment. The last response suggests that the answer is no.</font>

It might work with a fullfare (unrestricted Y,C or F booking class), as there the RT is 2*OW, then it might work.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:13 am
Original Member

peter42: we talk about (non-full-fare-coded) rtw tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:48 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
peter42: we talk about (non-full-fare-coded) rtw tickets.</font>

I know, but then flyergoldii changed to revenue tickets, which may be full fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.