Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: Which Star Program to join?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2001, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Hi all - I'd like some advice on which star program to join.

I'm currently Alaska MVP Gold (can be comped to Mid Level on UA, others I'm not sure of).

I have just purchased a star lite economy RTW ex Australia flying SYD-LAX (NZ) LAX-SFO-LHR (UA) LHR-VIE-KTM (AUSTRIAN) KTM-BKK (TG) BKK-SIN-MEL (SIN)

I may fly another similar trip during the year giving me about 50K flight miles on Star airlines.

1. I would like a program that will comp my AS Status.
2. I want to get status bonus miles on all my Star flights (not just on UA flights with the Mileage Plus Program)
3. I need for the 50K to maintain *G status.
4. I'd like to use rewards for US-Australia travel (where UA offers a generously low 60K award compared to AC 75K Award).
5. Some change of international upgrades would be nice.

Any advice - I have seen somewhere (but can't confirm on their site) that Air Canada gives you status bonus and threshold miles on all Star flights. Will they comp my Alaska MVP and are they a good choice?
What about Lufthansa or Air NZ (I already have a few AirNZ points hanging around).

(I was previously AN Plat....alas....)

Thanks

[This message has been edited by aussieinsf (edited 12-04-2001).]
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:21 pm

LH will not comp you, but give you 25% status bonus on all flights. Doesn't look loke the best option for you though. I would say go with AC or UA.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
1. I would like a program that will comp my AS Status.
-- you'll have to shop around to see who will. UA should, AC might, LH will not.
2. I want to get status bonus miles on all my Star flights (not just on UA flights with the Mileage Plus Program)
- AC or LH will allow that, so will NZ
3. I need for the 50K to maintain *G status.
only 35K with AC PLUS it gives you access to all Red Carpet Clubs in US. *G on UA will NOT give RCC access-you have to pay.
4. I'd like to use rewards for US-Australia travel (where UA offers a generously low 60K award compared to AC 75K Award).
- don't let that fool you. With double bonus miles on all Star Carriers with AC you can earn more miles so requiring more miles is not that big a deal(well sort of double--they use a threshold bonus scheme that benefits more the people earning close to 100k miles per year; at 50K you only get 15k bonus miles).
5. Some change of international upgrades would be nice.
- if you get to SuperElite on AC, you will get a nice set of 8 upgrades that can be used internationally on typical fares, but not seat sale or websaver.

Any advice - I have seen somewhere (but can't confirm on their site) that Air Canada gives you status bonus and threshold miles on all Star flights.
- it's true

Check out the comparison chart:

------------------
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2001
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart
Old Dec 5, 2001, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree LH is not an option for you, they strongly favour flyers that pay C/F fares. I would go with AC or UA.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 5:52 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
It would be slightly wierd if AC does comp AC Elite from MVP Gold this year, this year as part of the Roots fiasco, AC Elite members were offered a no-strings-attached comp to MVP Gold.

I guess AC might ask for statements to prove you actually flew on Alaska
Old Dec 6, 2001, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thanks for all the great advice - it is looking like I will try AC (I have got 6 AS segments during the year but most miles on SFO-NYC flights) so I am a genuine qualifyer.

What number should I call to ask about comping?

Old Dec 7, 2001, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for this invaluable discussion, BlondeBomber especially. I'm also now interested in the AC program. I would look to comp from United 1P - what are the odds on that? And how to contact AC - phone, mail, ??
Old Dec 7, 2001, 12:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/004116.html

for comping from UA. Doesn't look promising but you might email some of the participants to see if they had success.

It all depends on your travel patterns. If you plan on doing a lot more flying in Canada, and can show that increase on some statements, AC might be more willing to comp. Frankly it is pretty easy to get to Elite anyway, only 35K miles or 60 segments.
Old Dec 7, 2001, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked AC about comping from UA 1K and they said they will not comp any level from any other star alliance carrier, period. Does not hurt to ask though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.