Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which Star Alliance membership is best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2001, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF

Shamelessly trawling these boards for content for www.mileagerunner.com, I was hoping to open the debate about which *A membership is best. I've seen BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Comparison site, which does an excellent job of describing how the various programs differ. But what I'm really after is which programs are most appropriate for which sets of travellers. For example:

Those who want to earn status very quickly should pick AC (low mileage thresholds) or BD (particularly if they fly intercontinentally). BD is slightly quicker, AC offers upgrades on their own metal.

For those who travel business/first class, LH is the best program due to the way it credits status miles.

For those who travel, as *G, signficantly on partner airlines are well served by AC's mileage bonus.

Etc, etc, etc.

We've obviously got some * experts here, so I'd love to hear the pros, cons, and travel profiles that best suit each program.

Many thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old Oct 14, 2001, 9:29 pm

Can AC *G use the UA RCC?

Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MilesDependent:
Can AC *G use the UA RCC?

</font>
Yes, as long as you have a same day *A ticket --regardless of class of service..
Old Oct 15, 2001, 2:36 am

BD are really stingey with their award levels though and don't give full points for cheaper flights.

Stephen
Old Oct 15, 2001, 3:14 am

If you want your children (below 17) to redeem awards, SAS is the best bet as they need only 50% miles. No other * carrier offers this facility.

Old Oct 15, 2001, 6:45 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:
BD are really stingey with their award levels though and don't give full points for cheaper flights.</font>
Agreed. But if the majority of your flights are in Biz then it is a good programme. Last year I managed to get comp to Silver on the basis of my BA status. My tier points were reset to zero when I was upgraded. Immediately after this I did a RTW in C/J. By the time I finished I had reached 1200 tier points and therefore enough for Gold. Since then I have reached 1200 points again so Gold is assured for another year. Not bad considering all bar one flight has been UK domestic! My companies route deal on EDI-LHR is £189 for fully flexible Business Class so I get 60 (tier and miles) points per return. Our deal with BA is similar yet I get zero tier points and only 125 miles!

Old Oct 15, 2001, 10:04 am

BD only looks good when comapred with the BA scheme in the UK!

I have a Diamond Club card but only use it occasionally - I put my BD flights on other * alliance cards.

I agree that BD may be a good way of getting status (don't them give you silver for nothing if you but one of their diamon passes?) but even with lots of points you don't get much free flight wise.

Stephen

Stephen

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
Agreed. But if the majority of your flights are in Biz then it is a good programme. Last year I managed to get comp to Silver on the basis of my BA status. My tier points were reset to zero when I was upgraded. Immediately after this I did a RTW in C/J. By the time I finished I had reached 1200 tier points and therefore enough for Gold. Since then I have reached 1200 points again so Gold is assured for another year. Not bad considering all bar one flight has been UK domestic! My companies route deal on EDI-LHR is £189 for fully flexible Business Class so I get 60 (tier and miles) points per return. Our deal with BA is similar yet I get zero tier points and only 125 miles!

</font>
Old Oct 15, 2001, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"No other * carrier offers this facility" (50% mileage rewards for under 17)

Actually LH offers 50% for any travelling companion!

Old Oct 15, 2001, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
"No other * carrier offers this facility" (50% mileage rewards for under 17)

Actually LH offers 50% for any travelling companion!
</font>
I believe you need to be a Senator (*Gold) member of LH to get 50% off companion tickets, whereas SAS offers 50% off for children whatever your status or non-status.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 2:18 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hagbard Viking:
I believe you need to be a Senator (*Gold) member of LH to get 50% off companion tickets, whereas SAS offers 50% off for children whatever your status or non-status.</font>
Yes it is a senator only benefit, not valid for Fly Smart, Upgrades and RTW awards.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 4:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I presumed Matthew was referring only to comparisons of Star Gold program (in LH Miles and More, Senator is the only Star Gold level).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.