Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Will anyone comp my Global Rewards Platinum ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2001, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

As an unlucky Global Rewards Platinum Member, I want to try and obtain status on another carrier.

Anyone know of a major airline which would comp Star Gold Ansett status.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Oct 9, 2001, 6:30 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Have you tried UA ?! I was successful based on status on other *A carrier.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I have tried with UA. Their reply follows:-

"I apologize, but I am not able to match your elite status on Ansett
airline because Ansett does not qualify for our Premier Status Match
promotion. This promotion is designed to target major competitors and
Ansett is not in that category at this time.

However, if you have an elite status with one of the following airlines,
please let me know:"
Old Oct 9, 2001, 11:56 pm
Original Member

alexbs: Could you post the list of airlines UA considers as major competitors, please?
Old Oct 10, 2001, 12:22 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I am pretty sure QF would grant you comp status. I know, they're not *.

I have a feeling that SQ may also be willing to consider it, because I am sure they would prefer the revenue you generate go to them rather than QF. That's just a feeling - I don't even know who you'd contact or anything like that.

As for UA, I'm sad to say I'm not surprised. They'd comp based on AA/CO/DL/NW/US etc - because they are US domestic competition. Have you tried contacting the SYD office of UA. Perhaps going there in person. Suggest your travel patterns are to benefit them, eg: you do X trips to the US, or x to europe that you might switch to UA metal over say, QF for. I'd say NSW Sales may well be able to organise somehing, specially if your travel is in Premium cabins.

Let us know!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 3:54 am
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond

Richard - I would be amazed, and very pleasantly surprised as well, if SQ comped anyone to anything.
However, times they are a-changing. Any reported break in the SQ facade should be celebrated.
Koala
Old Oct 10, 2001, 7:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Alexbs,

Interesting this answer. Now, I'd try a different approach: Rely on your travel agent, prepare a letter to UA and have your Travel Agent get the letter delivered directly to the Sales Dept, stating you're a good revenue customer.

Last but not least you can start these strategies in another country.

AA has always denied a match in Brazil. While in Mexico, over the phone I let them know I am 1K and got Platinum level the same day.

So, if not successful try a different approach and eventually start from scratch in a different country.

The reasons to comp a customer is based on revenue not necessarily the carrier...
Old Oct 10, 2001, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I obtained Platinum travelling within Australia extensively, flying about 2 times a week on Ansett metal, in Australia.

I also fly business to Europe or America on average once a year, and fly to Asia on holidays once a year.

Difficult to justify an overseas carrier of my revenue generation, as I dont fly OS that often.

May have to wait and see what happens with Global Rewards program -- dont like my chances with singapore, Qantas may consider, but I have contacted them, and they have promised to get back to me (yes, me and 10000 other people !!!)

Old Oct 10, 2001, 8:14 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
Alxbs - In June I joined United Mileage Plus USA program via online.
I then faxed a copy of my AN statement and Gold card, and they upgraded me to Premier immediately on their "Go for the Gold" promotion.
Fax number is 605-341-6140 (receives special attention)I was dealing with an agent named Tonya.
I mentioned in the letter that I normally fly NZ, keeping with Star Alliance, but that I wanted to experience the new UA configuration of E+ and C+.
This is true. However, both my UA transpacific and transatlantic flights were not on the reconfigured planes, so have yet to enjoy row 25.
For my travel needs UA offer the best program, but I'll be very happy if SQ take on my 240,000 Ansett miles still pending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.