Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-boarding for *G

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2001, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Pre-boarding for *G

Why, oh why, can't there be standard pre-boarding for *Gs.

I've been on a few flights recently out of SYD, AKL, SIN & HKG. I actually went round to several gates of * flights (mostly SQ and some TG and NZ) to listen to how they do pre-boarding.

3 situations arise (almost evenly).

1. First, Business, Operating Airline *G (ie, KrisFlyer Elite Gold or Royal Orchid Gold), general *G.

2. First, Business, Operating Airline *G only.

3. First,Business. That is all.

Actually, a recent TG flight out of SYD had pre-boarding for transit passengers, then a general call for everyone else (including non-transit business passengers). Ansett had no pre-boarding for anyone.

I even had a fight at AKL airport getting onto a TG flight, as he insisted that only TG *G got pre-boarding.

Another situation. At HKG there are two boarding lines. One for F/J and one for Y. Which do *G use? I went to the F/J line after they did pre-boarding for F/J/*G (which was good). But, I was told to join the huge economy queue as this line was only for F/J passengers. So, I waited in the que for another 10 minutes untill they did a general boarding announcement.

STANDARDS PLEASE.

MD
Old Oct 5, 2001, 12:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
What is it with pre-boarding? I would rather be one of the last to board, I take bugger-all carry-ons with me anyway, so I won't be affected by bin-sows.

I would rather spend the extra time in the lounge and leave it until the last minute, they are much better surroundings than aircraft.

Dave
Old Oct 5, 2001, 8:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
What is it with pre-boarding? I would rather be one of the last to board, I take bugger-all carry-ons with me anyway, so I won't be affected by bin-sows.</font>
Exactly. You don't carry any carry-ons, other people do. So maybe some people would rather be on board early than stay in the lounge. Different people have different circumstances.

Glad to say that personally I have never encountered an employee as ignorant as to insist that only F/J or their own *G is eligible for pre-boarding.

As far as I know, AN never offered pre-boarding to Star Golds anyway, it's shown on the publicity materials.

Of course, should one feel compelled enough one can ask for the supervisor of the offending employee to clarify the rules, in many cases that would be beneficial as the employee concerned may actually learn the rules.... for once.
Old Oct 6, 2001, 11:06 pm
pt

I have to say I'm with thadoctor on this one. I read MilesDependant's very good recent trip reports, and the pre-boarding (or lack of it) for *G featured heavily. Aside from getting a luggage locker right above your row, I really can't see why anyone would want to maximise their time sitting in economy, especially when the lounge whould be available (presumably it is as issue when flying economy, as first and business pre-board anyway). Perhaps the frustration is over failure to have available *G rights and status recognised, and the issue of whether these rights are beneficial or acutally detrimental (as thadoctor and I seem to think) is not a factor. Maybe MilesDependent could enlighten us as to the benefits of pre-boarding in economy?
Old Oct 6, 2001, 11:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
many Star-carriers have no status related preboarding 'rights'.

Lufthansa and UA-shuttle (as long as Shuttle exists) board by rows. Thai (on my inner-Thailand trips) just allows anybody to board 'at the same time'.

But I personally don't care much.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I guess the reason why pre-boarding is important to me is because I travel with a very large rollerbag (the maximum allowable size by most airlines).

It is important to get my hands on an almost empty overhead locker, because if I don't, I'll be forced to check it (as happened to me on a full flight to MEL a few months back).

Plus, often I get up during the flight to put things in or get things out of the bag. Thus, it is important to get a locker near where I am sitting.

I admit though, when checking luggage, I would get on the plane at the last possible minute, as who wants to maximise time sitting in economy class without a good reason.

Although, with all the hassle I'm having these days, maybe I should just check the thing and spend more time in the lounge!

Regards
MD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.