Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP on RTW transit rules

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2001, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
HELP on RTW transit rules

Hi,

I am looking for some specific help on a problem with one of my RTW itineraries.

My reading of the rules are that as long as you are under the mileage and you are spending less than 24 hours you can stop overnight to meet a friend and you can have whatever routing within the oceans and general direction rules that you want.

I wish to do the following;

Sat 27 October: AUS/ORD (transitting in DEN) as the direct arrives at 8pm. So AUS/DEN/ORD

Sun 28 October: ORD/DEN (morning).

No problems from UA that I can transit for the night in ORD but they will only allow me on the direct AUS/ORD flight.

Rationale from TA is: "I have spoken to United Airlines and they have checked the itinerary with regards to the Austin to Chicago sector...the answer is no, you cannot transit in Denver on your way to
Chicago as Denver is the final destination on this leg of the fare."

Okay that seems logical but still wondering if it is accurate that I cannot actually go AUS/DEN/ORD/DEN. Is there also another option or with the 20% cuts can I just hope things change?

Of course I could just buy a DEN/ORD/DEN sector but that is a little redundant.

Oh and I already have a stop in ORD later in the itinerary so cannot do that, and I already have the max number of USA stops.

Thanks!

Mark
Old Sep 23, 2001, 8:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my aug-31 to sep-17 Star-rtw did include:
* Thursday evening: ORD-COS (overnight stay, more than 4 hours, less than 24 hours, not taking the next connecting flight)
* Friday morning: COS-DEN (next connecting flight, less than 4 hours) - ASE (more than 4 hours, not next connecting flight)
* Friday afternoon/evening: ASE - DEN (next connecting flight, less than 4 hours) - COS (one night stay, more than 4 but again less then 24 hours, not taking the next connecting flight)
* Saturday morning: COS - DEN (next connecting flight, less than 4 hours) - ASE (next connecting flight, less than 4 hours) - DEN (less than 4 hours, not next connecting flight) - SFO

I discussed the stopover-rules/itinerary several time with my (swiss based) LH-angel and finally we compromised that she would tolerate my two COS-stops (both being less than 24 hours, but more than 4 hours and never taking the next connecting flight). The compromise was, that the first COS stop would count as a stopover, but not the second one ...

We were both not 100% sure, if on a international ticket, with some entirely inner-North American segments 'woven' into it, the 24 hours or the 4 hours stopover rules should be applied. So we compromised and it worked out.

LH didn't ask UA for their opinion about this, they just booked it and that was it.
Old Sep 24, 2001, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Rudi,

Thanks, very interesting itinerary, but my issue is not with the 24 hour rule or the number of sectors. Just that I am transiting through my destination.

i.e. AUS/DEN/ORD/DEN

UA are saying I cannot transit through the destination. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks,

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.