Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Surface" Miles on *A RTW

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2001, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
"Surface" Miles on *A RTW

As part of a RTW I am planning I intend to arrive in AKL and travel by surface to CHC before flying back to AKL and then SYD or direct from CHC to SYD. I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that "surface" miles are counted as part of the overall mileage. Is my memory correct or did I imagine it??

I have another question that someone here will no doubt be able to answer! I intend to purchase the ticket outside the UK, probably in Denmark which means a saving of around £700 each! I will then use my BD miles to get from EDI to CPH. On returning home to Edinburgh on my *A ticket I intend to have an extended "stopover"!! A month or so after our return we are heading to Paris for the weekend, again using the *A ticket (hopefully). As we cannot return to EDI as this would count as two stopvers in the same city, we intend to fly to Glasgow. GLA is only a 45 minute drive from our house so it is no hardship! We then intend to return to our original starting point, CPH, for a weekend break before returning using the return leg of our BD miles ticket. It would be easier to fly EDI-CPH than GLA-CPH (it is the same aircraft, it makes a 10 minute hob between airports), however, I'm not sure how *A will view a "surface" sector to a city that has already been used as a stopover. Also, is there likely to be a problem with "backtracking" through Europe. The last legs of our trip are planned as follows:-

DEL-LHR (no stopover)
LHR-EDI (stopover)
EDI-LHR (no stopover)
LHR-CDG (stopover)
CDG-LHR (no stopover)
LHR-GLA (stopover)
GLA or EDI - CPH (end)
Old Jul 4, 2001, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
With regard to the first question, yes, surface miles do count.

Second question. I can only talk from experience. I wanted to do something similar a few months back. I had used Zurich as a stopover already and had to fly back there again, so I used Basel. They wouldn't allow me to fly out of Zurich again, so I had to drive back to Basel (no great hardship). But maybe you will be lucky...it happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.