Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Stopover Help ??????????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2000, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi, need some expert help on a situation:-
1. purchased a reward flight on united from San Fran to Mexico. Booked it some time ago, and have the tickets.

2. am joining a connecting flight on ANA to Tokyo on the same day as it return from Mexico City...but only have 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Both airlines claim they can not put my baggage straight through, because the staralliance contract isn't signed.

ANA only have one flight a day, and reward booking on united are full.

I am also told I ahve to clear customs in San Fran.

1. Will I make in in 1 hour 20 minutes.

2. If I talk to united when I am in the US, will I be able to change the reward flight (an Ansett Australia reward flight).

3. Can I pay some extra and upgrade to business for the one leg (if required).

ANY help would be appreciated

Old Jun 9, 2000, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
1) Yes, they can check your bag straight through. This has nothing to do with *A, airlines interline bags all the time.

When you check in at MEX, show both tickets, and ask to have the baggage tags printed up for the whole itinerary. It CAN be done.

2) Yes, you have to clear customs at SFO. After all, you are entering the USA. I am not sure whether there is sterile transit for baggage through the US--I am pretty sure there is not, which means you have to claim and clear your bag, then put it back to recheck.

3) AN have to change the ticket--it is their ticket stock. However, you can use the ticket to stand by for an earlier flight (if there is one) on UA.

4) Which leg? You cannot reward an upgrade ticket on UA. But if your flight on NH is revenue, you can always buy an upgrade (at very punitive cost, I might add).
Old Jun 9, 2000, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by AC*SE:
2) Yes, you have to clear customs at SFO. After all, you are entering the USA. I am not sure whether there is sterile transit for baggage through the US--I am pretty sure there is not, which means you have to claim and clear your bag, then put it back to recheck.
I was offered transit facilities at SFO while travelling UA HKG-SFO-YYZ. I ended up entering the US for 4 hours, but my baggage went straight through to Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.