Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*G expiration between outbound - inbound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:54 am
Z1o
Original Poster

Being a *A Gold member, I wonder if I loose it's perks when it expires between my outbound and inbound *A flight. I assume I'll enjoy the benefits on my outbound, but I'm not sure what happens after the expiration.. Same PNR, same ticket number for both flights.

In the case of being able to keep it's benefits, what happens when I book another *A flight (out&in) on the same ticket, one week after my return?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Z1o
Being a *A Gold member, I wonder if I loose it's perks when it expires between my outbound and inbound *A flight. I assume I'll enjoy the benefits on my outbound, but I'm not sure what happens after the expiration.. Same PNR, same ticket number for both flights.

In the case of being able to keep it's benefits, what happens when I book another *A flight (out&in) on the same ticket, one week after my return?
I would say it depends if you manage to get a boarding pass with *G on it (as can happen). If you do, in theory you should get the usual perks (excepting quite probably lounge access). Whether it's ok for you to use those perks when you're not technically entitled to them on the return trip, well that's something you need to decide. An argument can be made either way.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Z1o
...In the case of being able to keep it's benefits, what happens when I book another *A flight (out&in) on the same ticket, one week after my return?
What exactly is your question? You loose your *G status it is because you did not fly enough in a given period (one or two years, depending on the programme) by whatever deadline you had. How would a new trip one week later (i.e. after you lost your status) affect your membership?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
What exactly is your question? You loose your *G status it is because you did not fly enough in a given period (one or two years, depending on the programme) by whatever deadline you had. How would a new trip one week later (i.e. after you lost your status) affect your membership?
I agree, this question makes no sense. If you're booking a flight after your status is expired, exactly how do you expect to get any benefits? I also don't know what "on the same ticket" means in this context, as the original ticket is bought and flown.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
i think the meaning is that he has the status under expiration and booked a flight which the outbound leg is before expiration and the return is after expiration of the status.
so the booking is made when the status still there and also the first part of the journey.

example...
status expiring date: June 30th
ticket booked on June 5th
flight 1: June 25th
flight 2: July 5th

i suppose the status matters only when valid, no matter if it expires half-way, so the return shouldn't grant any benefits and the status is no more there
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Rescmajster
i think the meaning is that he has the status under expiration and booked a flight which the outbound leg is before expiration and the return is after expiration of the status.
so the booking is made when the status still there and also the first part of the journey.

example...
Agreed, and that's what I tried to answer with my first reply. But OP follows on (in the same post) to say

Originally Posted by Z1o
what happens when I book another *A flight (out&in) on the same ticket, one week after my return?
Which makes no sense, since the entire transaction is taking place after the return which is after his status expires, so how could the ex-status have any bearing?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by witlesspax
Agreed, and that's what I tried to answer with my first reply. But OP follows on (in the same post) to say

Which makes no sense, since the entire transaction is taking place after the return which is after his status expires, so how could the ex-status have any bearing?
agree it makes no sense, anyway...it looks like working under the assumption that the return flight is already preserving status (despite it is expired); so likely asking if under the assumed circumstances, in case additional flights are under the same booking they can all keep the status.

as the first assumption looks wrong, the following definitely cannot work
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Perhaps the OP is asking about benefits if the second trip is booked before status expires, but for travel one week after they return from the first trip (and thus, after status has expired).

Without knowing the program or benefit in question, my guess is that "at booking" benefits like automatic upgrades would be available, but "flight time" benefits like complementary checked baggage would not.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:52 am
Z1o
Original Poster

agree it makes no sense, anyway...it looks like working under the assumption that the return flight is already preserving status (despite it is expired); so likely asking if under the assumed circumstances, in case additional flights are under the same booking they can all keep the status.

as the first assumption looks wrong, the following definitely cannot work
Exactly, it is the same booking for al the flights what makes me wonder if the perks are granted. I don't know if the status affects the ticket (and all the flights on this particular ticket) at the moment of checking-in of the first outbound flight and so the same for the inbound flight as well. Logic says when status expires, all associated perks are cancelled. On the other hand, I checked in for the first outbound flight with status which makes me possibly entitled for the status' benefits for the inbound.

To put it short, when checking in for the inbound flight, does the gate agent checks my real-time status? Or is my status automatically granted for all the flights on the same ticket when checking in for the first outbound?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:59 am
Z1o
Original Poster

example...

i suppose the status matters only when valid, no matter if it expires half-way, so the return shouldn't grant any benefits and the status is no more there
That's what logic tells me. To be more precise, my booking is as follows:

Flight one: BRU-OSL September 12
*G expiration September 16
Flight 2: OSL-BRU September 26
Flight 3: BRU-OSL October 3
Flight 4: OSL-BRU October 19

All flights are on *A SAS, in one single booking with 1 PNR and 1 ticket number. Flight one is the last flight I can check in my bag for free (SAS *G policy), right?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

i presonally think all benefits will expire with the expiration of the status. as somebody already said, eventually the pre-boarding benefits ight stay, like seat selection if is an available benefit. all others should be gone...especially lounge access as they always check. recently in MXP i've been asked for the phisical card to check the expiration date even if the system was reporting *G

if instead it works it would be interesting to know.
in any case i wouldn't count on it by bringing extra luggage which could become quite expensive...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Z1o
Flight one is the last flight I can check in my bag for free (SAS *G policy), right?
This is what you should expect. You might get lucky and the "phantom" status will still be in the reservation, but that is not what you're entitled to so expecting it or planning on it happening would be a mistake.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Maybe it's a European thing, but how do you take two round trips on one ticket?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Maybe it's a European thing, but how do you take two round trips on one ticket?
likely by booking a multi-destination ticket
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is what you should expect. You might get lucky and the "phantom" status will still be in the reservation, but that is not what you're entitled to so expecting it or planning on it happening would be a mistake.
Definitely agreed, so in the case of luggage you should be prepared to have to actually pay fees for it (if applicable). Not something I would generally risk unless I was prepared to do that anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.