Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

No CDG *A Lounge Access as *G flying 4U!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this or if there is a pre-existing thread I missed.

Just flew UA EWR-CDG in BusinessFirst, connecting to CDG-TXL on GermanWings, also in J. This was all one ticket, booked through UA on 016 stock, with UA flight numbers.

Upon deplaning at CDG I headed to the nearby Star Alliance Gold Lounge, where I presented my boarding pass. The lounge agent refused to even scan it, and told me I did not have access. I explained that not only am I traveling in international business class, I am Star Alliance Gold. He said that GermanWings is not part of Star Alliance and that my departing flight needs to be on a *A carrier. I explained that I was confused because to my knowledge GermanWings is part of Lufthansa... He reiterated that I did not have access, and told me GermanWings doesn't get access to the Star Alliance Lounge, and that I should go downstairs to the I-Care lounge. He wasn't budging. I went to the I-Care lounge and they said I don't have access there either! (I don't have Priority Pass and it seems that's just a Priority Pass lounge.)

I then headed to the LH Senator Lounge, where of course I was warmly welcomed. At that point I was frustrated and only had 15 minutes before my flight boarded.

Am I confused or was the Star Alliance lounge agent completely wrong? I want to reach out to someone at *A about this but am not sure of the appropriate channel. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Lounge Rep was right - 4U is not part of *A (but is part of LH Group). It is the same with e.g. MI - not a *A member despite being owned by SQ.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:25 am

Germanwings is not part of Star Alliance. To my very limited knowledge, as you didn't have a departing flights on a star alliance airline you were not eligible for entry. I could (am probably am) wrong on that.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Although somewhat confusing this is part of the LH lounge access rules for passengers on Germanwings/Eurowings flights.

• Passengers have free access to the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges in Germany provided they have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator Card.
  • Passengers who have booked the Eurowings BEST fare and Frequent Travellers who have booked the SMART fare are entitled to use the Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their flight.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold Card, however, do not have access to the Lufthansa Lounges. Exceptions to this are the Star Alliance Gold Card customers of the airlines United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (NH), who receive access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges.

Since Germanwings/Eurowings are not part of *A what CappuccinoAddict as UA Gold experienced was exactly according to the rules.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Thanks for the quick replies! I had mistakenly assumed that since GermanWings is part of LH that they were also considered to be part of Star Alliance. But NewbieRunner, thanks for your listing of the rules, that explains why I was let into the Sen Lounge.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Thanks for the quick replies! I had mistakenly assumed that since GermanWings is part of LH that they were also considered to be part of Star Alliance. But NewbieRunner, thanks for your listing of the rules, that explains why I was let into the Sen Lounge.
It's part of the Lufthansa Group, not the airline itself...aka it's not like (for lack of a better example) United Express which is part of United Airlines and operated by other carriers.

For me I would have just gone to the LH lounge since I don't like having to guess the security at the terminals and when to leave and make the way there, not to mention having to go through passport control as well.
The only time I went to the *A lounge as a connection was when I had 3 hours coming in BKK-CDG and wanted to shower before my SAS flight.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
It is getting confusing and a legitimate downgrade to the Star Alliance experience as all those airlines establish new, excluded airlines.

Thai Smiles is another...and I think Singapore has one as well.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It is really confusing for many of us and some of those working in the greater LH group.

I was recently flying from VIE to DUS on 4U. I was denied accessing at Austrian (OS) Lounge initially, then allowed in once they found out 4U is part of LH, which also owns LX and OS.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It's part of the Lufthansa Group, not the airline itself...aka it's not like (for lack of a better example) United Express which is part of United Airlines and operated by other carriers.

For me I would have just gone to the LH lounge since I don't like having to guess the security at the terminals and when to leave and make the way there, not to mention having to go through passport control as well.
The only time I went to the *A lounge as a connection was when I had 3 hours coming in BKK-CDG and wanted to shower before my SAS flight.
It's probably closer to TED (Rar!) or Shuttle by United than UX, but the analogy is the same.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:44 am

United MP Gold and above did have access to the *A (Lufthansa) lounge when flying Germanwings as recently as this January. This was listed on UA partner page for Germanwings, as a special deal between UA and LH/4U and discussed on this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...rmanwings.html

I see now that the wording about lounge access is missing from United 4U partner page, so the access must have been revoked this year.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I saw a 1K turned away, with great fanfare (DYKWIA), from the LHR UA lounge the other day as he was on 4U. This really needs to change given 4U's increased presence on EU flights.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

As it seems to have just changed from "access" to "no access" - seems unlikely they'll reverse the decision quickly.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yep. The point of all these baby airlines intentionally not being part of Star Alliance is to avoid having to honor all the *A benefits.

It really is a knock on the value prop of the Alliance, but I don't envision it changing anytime soon.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:44 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by br2k
United MP Gold and above did have access to the *A (Lufthansa) lounge when flying Germanwings as recently as this January. This was listed on UA partner page for Germanwings, as a special deal between UA and LH/4U and discussed on this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...rmanwings.html

I see now that the wording about lounge access is missing from United 4U partner page, so the access must have been revoked this year.
UA *G can access LH lounges when flying on 4U. Whatever the UA website claims LH's website still confirms this as I quoted in post #4.

Originally Posted by zoegksf
I saw a 1K turned away, with great fanfare (DYKWIA), from the LHR UA lounge the other day as he was on 4U. This really needs to change given 4U's increased presence on EU flights.
The 1K could have gone to the LH lounge.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

The 1K could have gone to the LH lounge.
Exactly. What is going to change other than you wanting to go to the UC instead of the SEN lounge. LHR, CDG, DUS, FRA, TXL, MUC all have a lounge for you when flying 4U.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yep. The point of all these baby airlines intentionally not being part of Star Alliance is to avoid having to honor all the *A benefits.

It really is a knock on the value prop of the Alliance, but I don't envision it changing anytime soon.
I thought it was to pay crew/staff less and operate closer to an LCC where most things are a no frills fare. Sure not providing *A benefits are a plus to them but I don't think it's the driving motive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.