Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Lounge Access at EWR & ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I will be traveling frequently in December through EWR and ORD on domestic itineraries. I do not have United Club Membership, but do have Star Alliance Gold status. I understand that SA Gold gives me access to some of the international SA lounges, even if I am on a domestic UA ticket.

Does anyone know if there is airside access from EWR Terminal C to EWR Terminal B to get to the Lufthansa/SAS Lounge? I know there is the Airside Shuttle Bus at C71 that runs to Terminal A, but just wondering if it also goes to Terminal B? If so, how difficult is this process?

On the same note, does anyone know if there is airside access from ORD Terminals 1 & 2 to Terminal 5 to get to the Swiss/SAS Lounge? If so, how difficult is this process?

I will have significant downtime at both EWR and ORD so it will be a great opportunity for me to check out these lounges... if I can get to them!

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by COElite; Dec 6, 2014 at 6:52 am Reason: clarification
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Which airline is your status on?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by COElite
I will be traveling frequently in December through EWR and ORD on domestic itineraries. I do not have United Club Membership, but do have Star Alliance Gold status. I understand that SA Gold gives me access to some of the international SA lounges, even if I am on a domestic UA ticket.

Does anyone know if there is airside access from EWR Terminal C to EWR Terminal B to get to the Lufthansa/SAS Lounge? I know there is the Airside Shuttle Bus at C71 that runs to Terminal A, but just wondering if it also goes to Terminal B? If so, how difficult is this process?

On the same note, does anyone know if there is airside access from ORD Terminals 1 & 2 to Terminal 5 to get to the Swiss/SAS Lounge? If so, how difficult is this process?

I will have significant downtime at both EWR and ORD so it will be a great opportunity for me to check out these lounges... if I can get to them!

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think the agents at C71 check your boarding pass to make sure you have a legit flight at A/B, so "using lounge" may not suffice to get past those shuttle bus dragons
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no airside access to Terminal B unless you depart from it. You can go to B via the train, go through security again and use the lounge. Only worth it if you have a lot of time.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
I think the agents at C71 check your boarding pass to make sure you have a legit flight at A/B, so "using lounge" may not suffice to get past those shuttle bus dragons
Yeah the shuttle bus dragons are almost as bad as some lounge dragons
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by COElite
No at ORD, you have to exit security to get to Term 5 and go through security again, and in many cases, will only allow you through if you actually have a flight in that terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
To summarize... enjoy the terminal you land in or buy some UC passes...

Getting to the international terminals in either of those locations is not really a viable proposition.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by arctikjon
To summarize... enjoy the terminal you land in or buy some UC passes...

Getting to the international terminals in either of those locations is not really a viable proposition.
I would actually by a DL pass (in ord) over the UA day pass.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
Yeah, if you're in E or F DL is the way to go. The new UC in F is amazing, but suffers the amenities problem that the rest of the clubs have. If we could just take the DL lounge and make it the UC, all would be well in the world.

But regardless, you'd need a *G from an international airline to access any of the UCs, and the international arrival gates are not connected to the domestic ones behind security.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the Star Alliance forum, where access to *A lounges as a *A Gold is discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAD is your best choice, that is, the LH lounge in terminal B. It is not convenient, but you do not go through security twice.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your information and suggestions.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Would that require that you be on a DL itinerary? I saw a blurb on DL's website that one day passes required an itinerary. Don't know if they mean any itinerary or DL issued.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
As long as your gold status is NOT with UA, you have access to all UC's on any
itinerary. I don't understand the question.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Would that require that you be on a DL itinerary? I saw a blurb on DL's website that one day passes required an itinerary. Don't know if they mean any itinerary or DL issued.
In reply to your question, the current DL Sky Club One Day Pass T&C require usage to be "in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on ANY airline." [emphasis added]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.