Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Eva versus Air China in Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eva versus Air China in Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Also for service, CA is reallly really bad. They make it up with nice adverts showing smiling cabin crew but in reality, they can't even crack a smile if you're flying in anything less than Business.

Food is dreadful too.

BR is ++ by a wide margin.
But they always smile when they serve me after seeing the manifest!

Otherwise the food is pretty crappy. If BR does have a real PY product then there is no reason to choose CA.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Also for service, CA is reallly really bad. They make it up with nice adverts showing smiling cabin crew but in reality, they can't even crack a smile if you're flying in anything less than Business.

Food is dreadful too.

BR is ++ by a wide margin.
I flew long-haul J (paid) with CA earlier in the year and the crew hardly cracked a smile....

Food was certainly bad. They also took away my wine before I was done with my cheese course.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Isn't CA only has premium economy on their 772 and 333 ?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Transiting can be a pain in Beijing because they do a passport check which is often manned by one person and if there is a queue it can take a while. I regularly fly there (once per month on average usually connecting) and rarely get delayed, only twice in 3 years, one on domestic and one on international.

I think the lounge is ok if you are gold. Ive been in a lot worse. The premium economy seats on Air China are as said above pretty much a standard economy so not particularly appealing.

I have not flown EVA.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does PEK offer fast track security for *G?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by vd0t
Does PEK offer fast track security for *G?
No.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
PEK Most Delayed Airport in the World

The numbers don't lie. PEK is the most delayed major airport in the world. Just 18% on time departures, 42% delayed more than 45 minutes. China Airport Performance
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:43 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Isn't CA only has premium economy on their 772 and 333 ?
CA 747-8 has Y+ too, 38 inch pitch, same width as Y. It will be used on flights to JFK and SFO in 2015.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:48 pm

I don't see any reason to fly Air China.
James Dozer asks the question, why would anyone want to fly Air China first-class?
http://upgrd.com/pursuedadventures/t...777-300er.html
Just to have tried it. His conclusion is that "it is not as bad as expected".
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't see any reason to fly Air China.
If you need to go to/from PEK, it's often the only convenient option. Plus, the food issue is usually pretty easy to solve on your own by self catering (although slightly challenging in 2nd/3rd tier city airports).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you need to go to/from PEK, it's often the only convenient option. Plus, the food issue is usually pretty easy to solve on your own by self catering (although slightly challenging in 2nd/3rd tier city airports).
Before I got Global Entry, I would actually sometimes fly into to SFO, then transfer to LAX, even though I lived in southern California.

I actually haven't taken an international flight into PEK but some airports are definitely better to fly into internationally than others.
For LAX you have to spend an hour waiting in line for immigration, with very grumpy agents. Better to fly into SF, get greeted with a smile, wait twenty minutes to get into the US, and then get onto a transfer flight.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:27 am

For LAX you have to spend an hour waiting in line for immigration, with very grumpy agents. Better to fly into SF, get greeted with a smile, wait twenty minutes to get into the US, and then get onto a transfer flight.
I've never experienced a 60 minute wait at LAX, but even it did (and SFO was 20 minutes at comparable times), the ordeal of having to transfer at SFO, wait for your SFO-LAX flight, and fly from SFO to LAX takes MUCH longer than the 40 minutes you purportedly saved via faster immigration times.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:52 am

Didnt see anyone mentioning this, but if you are willing to pluck down $2200, why not buy the currently lifemiles 2 x 1 deal and for the first 75,000 miles for 1.65 cents totalling $1,237.50. Then use the 50% at 1.5 cents for another $1,125, totalling $2,362.50 plus tax for a roundtrip business class ticket. Quick check on lifemiles.com yielded limited dates with availability.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not true at LAX since they opened the new immigrations hall in TBIT. Completely different experience. Arguably the best international arrival at any major US airport.

btw, SFO gets long lines too. It all depends on arrival time.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not true at LAX since they opened the new immigrations hall in TBIT. Completely different experience. Arguably the best international arrival at any major US airport.

btw, SFO gets long lines too. It all depends on arrival time.
Yes - SFO deteriorated a lot and LAX improved tremendously.

But both are no match for a SEA or BOS immigration if you are a foreigner. Educated, open minded agents who know where Europe is ...

On the subject: I found that the intra-Asia PE on CA is really, really bad. Almost like UA's E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.