Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SFO - ICN via SG or AV or UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.

Just looking for comments regarding SQ vs. OZ in particular as I've never flown on these two airlines.

Literally new territory for me as my new gig has informed me I'm off to Korea and "need to be prepared to visit more often".

Have tons of experience with UA to NRT and then on to BKK. Thinking of trying SQ or OZ over UA. Any tips? Suggestions. Looking to turn in Miles for upgrade if possible. UA is showing I'd have to go SFO- PEK-SFO only to confirm upgrade at this time. PEK-ICN-PEK would be with OZ.

Might also look at KE (yeah!!, I know!!!). Just exploring options at this time and seeking input from others.

Thanks

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reason: Corrected Airline codes
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
What airlines are you talking about?
Singapore is SQ.
Asiana is OZ
What is "AV"?

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:46 pm Reason: Added Asiana
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...

Correct codes made.

SQ and OZ were intended.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
SQ is better
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is the only airline that will let you upgrade relatively easily, especially if you get the upgrade certificates 1Ks get. If you're gonna be in coach no matter what then OZ is the best bet for legroom and service. SQ is the best for entertainment and UA is avoid at all costs.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Avoid connecting in China if at all possible - long delays (for both arrivals and departures) at the Beijing and Shanghai airports are rife.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
UA is the only airline that will let you upgrade relatively easily, especially if you get the upgrade certificates 1Ks get. If you're gonna be in coach no matter what then OZ is the best bet for legroom and service. SQ is the best for entertainment and UA is avoid at all costs.
I would take SQ over OZ for consistency, as for OZ SFO-ICN using a 772, occasionally you will get a 772 that have no AVOD and videos run in a loop, that is also with C in an cradle seat in 2-3-2 config.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Just looking for comments regarding SQ vs. OZ in particular as I've never flown on these two airlines.

Literally new territory for me as my new gig has informed me I'm off to Korea and "need to be prepared to visit more often".

Have tons of experience with UA to NRT and then on to BKK. Thinking of trying SQ or OZ over UA. Any tips? Suggestions. Looking to turn in Miles for upgrade if possible. UA is showing I'd have to go SFO- PEK-SFO only to confirm upgrade at this time. PEK-ICN-PEK would be with OZ.

Might also look at KE (yeah!!, I know!!!). Just exploring options at this time and seeking input from others.

Thanks
What miles are you planning on using ?

If it is UA miles, *A upgrade require you on buying full fare Y class ticket in order to get the upgrade, and the upgrade inventory will come from the C class awards bucket, and it is only possible with OZ but not SQ, as SQ ban on all F and C awards from all *A partners (including upgrade redemption on its flights operated by 77W and 380), it is only possible to do so with SQ miles.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
What miles are you planning on using ?

If it is UA miles, *A upgrade require you on buying full fare Y class ticket in order to get the upgrade, and the upgrade inventory will come from the C class awards bucket, and it is only possible with OZ but not SQ, as SQ ban on all F and C awards from all *A partners (including upgrade redemption on its flights operated by 77W and 380), it is only possible to do so with SQ miles.
Yeah!!! Was exploring the option of using UA miles to upgrade Y tix to C. SFO-ICN non-stop and NRT connecting flight are not "available" for upgrade. Only to/from PEK.

Also noted that UA isn't requiring a full-fare Y tix to upgrade on the flights I've looked into. Although all upgrades were only on UA metal though...

Leaning towards SQ. SQ and OZ fares are similar though. KE fare for same time frames tend to be $200-$300 more though... Sorry UA, even getting that confirmed upgrade to C might not be enough for me this time around.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Also noted that UA isn't requiring a full-fare Y tix to upgrade on the flights I've looked into. Although all upgrades were only on UA metal though...
And a cash co-pay of up to $600 each way, right?

Upgrades are quite rarely as good a deal as you might want them to be.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Correct! And right you are about upgrades! On UA's SFO-PEK flight, the 744 C and F cabins are wide open still for a departure date just two weeks away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.