Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best/Easiest Status Match for OW Sapphire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post (so mod pls move if you see fit), but I'm currently QF Gold, and since I'm going to be flying *A flights quite a bit from now on, which are the best/easiest programs to status match to?

Thanks.

(P.S. Rejected from A3, TK and NZ)
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:24 am

http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/21401
If you were a Platinum, TK would probably match you.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by lels
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post (so mod pls move if you see fit), but I'm currently QF Gold, and since I'm going to be flying *A flights quite a bit from now on, which are the best/easiest programs to status match to?

Thanks.

(P.S. Rejected from A3, TK and NZ)
Quite surprised that NZ declined you. You've pretty much hit the easiest ones here already. UA would be your last one but I expect they'll only offer you a challenge rather than a straight match. Just time it to when you'll be flying heavily and you should have no problem. But with UA you'll need 4 UA metal flights per year, if you have US domestic planned then it'll work, if not it's a bit tough.

If you have to earn it then A3 is probably easiest depending on your ticketed fare class. TK isn't terribly good aside from getting matched to *G and using it for just that, as to redeem a mileage ticket is an absolute pain. Depending on where you'll be flying, others may make more sense.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

mmm... those were my original thoughts...

TK rejected me because I wasn't WP, and NZ rejected me because I don't fly to New Zealand...

I was going to start accrual on the A3 program, but it's annoying that my SQ booking class isn't listed for points, so it looks like I'll have to credit to KrisFlyer. SQ is likely to be my most flown airline, but their program is mediocre, and flying 50k is quite heavy for what they give.

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:11 am

I was going to start accrual on the A3 program, but it's annoying that my SQ booking class isn't listed for points
SQ flights on A3 are not a great match. Even flying in business only earns 125% on A3, so it's a bit of a waste. However, those Y classes that earn on A3 all give you 100%. So depending on your flying pattern a R/T from Australia to Europe via SIN will probably give you 20k miles in one go, and it might be worth spending a little more just for once to get *G with A3 (just booked AMS-SIN-AKL R/T that should earn 23k miles in total). After that, you can just put your miles on Krisflyer or other programs.

What exactly do you need status for? Redeeming or lounge/luggage services?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso
After that, you can just put your miles on Krisflyer or other programs.

What exactly do you need status for? Redeeming or lounge/luggage services?
Is it possible to split cards - i.e. miles on krisflyer and status on A3?

I basically only really care about *G status for lounge and airport benefits to make Y a bit more bearable
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:06 am

Is it possible to split cards - i.e. miles on krisflyer and status on A3?
In principle yes, you might find some lounge dragons more or less willing to cause trouble if your A3*G number is not on the BP, but that's the risk you take
Many FTers recommend putting the A3 number at check-in time (to get your bags appropriately tagged and status on the BP), and then to change your FFP# at the gate for miles accrual.
I personally have never tried that, and IMHO it seems a bit fragile and depending who you will find as an agent.

I basically only really care about *G status for lounge and airport benefits to make Y a bit more bearable
Then I would recommend you use A3 as much as you can, as 100% is 100% and you won't do much better than that. If you have some flights that would not earn on A3 then put them on SQ, but if you have some flexibility in your spending you can try to always book fare classes that will earn.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by malmostoso
In principle yes, you might find some lounge dragons more or less willing to cause trouble if your A3*G number is not on the BP, but that's the risk you take
Many FTers recommend putting the A3 number at check-in time (to get your bags appropriately tagged and status on the BP), and then to change your FFP# at the gate for miles accrual.
I personally have never tried that, and IMHO it seems a bit fragile and depending who you will find as an agent.

Then I would recommend you use A3 as much as you can, as 100% is 100% and you won't do much better than that. If you have some flights that would not earn on A3 then put them on SQ, but if you have some flexibility in your spending you can try to always book fare classes that will earn.
Incorrect.

You've given advice suitable for someone who already has *G status with one programme and wishes to earn mileage on a different *A programme while utilising their *G benefits.

However, lels does not have *G status. Earning towards status and redemptions are on the same FFP in *A, just as it is for QF and oneworld.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Incorrect.

You've given advice suitable for someone who already has *G status with one programme and wishes to earn mileage on a different *A programme while utilising their *G benefits.

However, lels does not have *G status. Earning towards status and redemptions are on the same FFP in *A, just as it is for QF and oneworld.
Right, I might have misinterpreted lels message. You cannot earn award miles on one card and status miles on another. In fact, are there any FFP programs that would allow that?

However, once status is earned on A3, it would indeed be possible to exploit the status while crediting on another FFP.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Got it - if I've derped already and bought a Q-fare ticket, is there anyway I can change it to S, Y, B, E, M, H, W, U, L, K?

Thx
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Got it - if I've derped already and bought a Q-fare ticket, is there anyway I can change it to S, Y, B, E, M, H, W, U, L, K?

Thx
Most airlines will upfare a ticket if you're paying the fare difference. Some will charge you a change fee for this, some won't. I'd call SQ to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.