Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

IAD - LYR award ticket with long stop over

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL

Hello all, I have been trying to find an economy saver award ticket from IAD to LYR (Longyearbyen, Svalbard). This in itself isn't difficult. But what I would like to do if possible is for the same about of miles (60,000rt) be able to take a long (12-23 hour) layover anywhere in Europe.

Most flights I have been coming across have no longer than an 8 hour layover in places like Frankfurt, Vienna, Oslo, and Dublin.

Is there a way to book longer layover at the same cost?

Thanks so much!

PS - Im looking to stay 4-7 days in Longyearbyen, and am okay taking any amount of time transiting, even if it it me ants 48 hours each way...

Last edited by benwilliams; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Based on the 60k miles number it sounds like you're trying to use UA miles. If that's the case then you can have a stopover as part of the trip so you can stay even more than 24 hours in one of those cities if you want. Otherwise you have to figure out the flight schedules and work backwards from there.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks sbm, I'm new to this, but upon redoing my searches and using the multistep search function the sky's the limit.

Are stop overs only allowed on Roundtrip flights? Also I've read that an open jaw is also allowed.. can this be booked using the UA site as well?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by benwilliams
Are stop overs only allowed on Roundtrip flights?
Yes.
Also I've read that an open jaw is also allowed..
Two, actually.
can this be booked using the UA site as well?
Sometimes yes, often not. For the more complicated awards the best thing to do is search the individual "chunks" you want and then phone it in to book.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
For the more complicated awards the best thing to do is search the individual "chunks" you want and then phone it in to book.
Interesting.. for these chunks, do I just need to make sure there is a economy save award available for each segment before calling it in?

Again, thanks for the help
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I might have taken it a bit extreme... but I have found the following segments all at economy saver award prices.

IAD-LHR

---open jaw---

GLA-DUS-OSL-TOS-LYR

---LYR destination---

LYR-TOS-OSL-FRA-KBP

---KBP stopover---

KBP-MUC-MXP

---open jaw---

FCO-CLT-IAD

I cant believe this would ever be bookable with 60,000 miles?? It seems to good to be true... thoughts?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:06 am

It seems to good to be true... thoughts?
It is too good to be true. There are some limits you must play within.

First off, you have too many stops. The open jaws don't let you have extra stops; you can have only a maximum of two places where you spend more than 24 hours. Your proposed itinerary has three.

Next up, UA has recently started enforcing limits on the total number of segments flown on an award. You should be able to do 5 in each direction but right now you have more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.