Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Status of US Airways

I'm looking at booking a United award for next year that includes a US Airways flight to CLT. What would happen to this booking when US leaves Star at the end of the year? Should I just totally avoid this booking? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:51 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Status of US Airways

If it gets ticketed you're fine.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by stampchez
I'm looking at booking a United award for next year that includes a US Airways flight to CLT. What would happen to this booking when US leaves Star at the end of the year? Should I just totally avoid this booking? Thanks.
If you choose to book something that far ahead, you are at risk for any schedule changes even if it is a revenue ticket and no merger.

With the merger you are at a higher risk routes are being cut or consolidated. If your flight being dropped you are at risk for your other segments being mis-connect, they won't be 100% protect you since you are on a UA ticket not US.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:52 pm

Status of US Airways

United is responsible to get you to you final destination , so if the flight gets canceled they will reroute your ticket , I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:33 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ReduceTC
United is responsible to get you to you final destination , so if the flight gets canceled they will reroute your ticket , I wouldn't worry.
Don't be so sure. I have read posts here that talk about getting the run around by the ticketing and operating airlines, with each one claiming the other being the responsible party. I don't know how those situations got resolved (if they ever did), but they all sounded like lots of hassles at a minimum.

LAX
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ReduceTC
No they are not, not unless all the other segments are on UA metal, and only if you asked for it. The responsibility is on the airline who cancel your segment, not the thrid party.

UA wouldn't know if US or any *A partner flight have any cancellation or schedule changes, so they won't email or call to notify you neither.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:28 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
This one is going to be in limbo until the DOJ lawsuit against the AA/US merger is resolved. I think we're just fine booking on US right now as a *A carrier.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No they are not, not unless all the other segments are on UA metal, and only if you asked for it. The responsibility is on the airline who cancel your segment, not the thrid party.

UA wouldn't know if US or any *A partner flight have any cancellation or schedule changes, so they won't email or call to notify you neither.
You have a contract with UA if UA issues the ticket. Their CoC applies. The part where they can just refund your ticket and call that in compliance with the CoC not withstanding, odds are it'll be just fine.

And they do know when OAL flights in the itinerary change. Whether they notify you or not is a different story. But they absolutely know. The GDS works pretty well that way.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I don't see any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.