Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay in to *A ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Cathay in to *A ?

Was chatting with a senior exec at a OW airline who told me that there is strong chatter about CX leaving OW for *A.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: qantas frequent flyer
Cathay in to *A

noooooo! that would suck big time for me as they are the only airline on OW
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: qantas frequent flyer
Cathay in to *A

that lands on crk ( connecting ) --> dragon air
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Cathay in to *A

With Singapore and Thai already in *A? Can't see it.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
And don't forget OZ, BR, and NH...there's already a surplus of riches of Asian airlines in Star.

I'd love it too but I can't see it.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
First thing I said to him. The second thing I said was that I thought founding *A partners had veto on new entrants. He said he believed it has been change to majority vote now (maybe old news to people here?).

He made it sound like it was pretty serious.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Not gonna happen but I welcome CX with open arms, one of the best OW airlines. I have traveled in their J cabin and they are very good, I think better then SQ even.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I find this hard to believe, but I would love it if CX joined. And give SQ the boot at the same time, since they are half-way out anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I find this hard to believe, but I would love it if CX joined. And give SQ the boot at the same time, since they are half-way out anyway.
^

It would be great to have an alliance member that actually makes premium cabin award seats available to other carriers.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Cathay in to *A

CX is a founding member of OW, I doubt they would leave.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I second that with making F seats available. It sure would be nice.

I can't see it happening though. Star is so well represented in Asia- what would Cathay add to Star???
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1kBill

It would be great to have an alliance member that actually makes premium cabin award seats available to other carriers.
I just did a bunch of flying around SE Asia on SQ Award tix using my UA miles. I think what you meant to say is premium cabin award seats on their premium routes. We kept flying these ancient B772s with g-d awful IFE and terribly uncomfortable seats (in J and F!). It would be nice to score a suites or F award ticket on SQ for say SFO/SIN on one of their B777ER or A380s.

I also hate how they try to block lounge use. Flew SIN/HKG-HKG/SFO in UA F and was handed an invitation to use the SATS lounge in SIN. Not my first rodeo, so cruised over to the SQ F lounge where the SQ dragons begrudgingly permitted our entry -- like they were doing us some kind of favor. What BS!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Maybe SQ is thinking of leaving or getting booted due to their restrictions on TPAC/TATL J/F rewards?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: all
Cathay in to *A

Would be a tragedy if Cathay left. But if they joined I see sq leaving star alliance
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Cathay in to *A

Love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.