Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United premium miles from Lufthansa - what happens when there is a conflict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if someone can help me with this.

I am a United Gold member and I am planning to take a transcontinental flight on Lufthansa. Lufthansa has a fare called "Economy Basic" which falls in fare class L, and Lufthansa says that this fare class only accrues 50%; au contraire, United explicitly says that Lufthansa's L fare class will accrue 100% premium miles on United Mileageplus. [In other words, for the same fare, Lufthansa will give its members only 50% but United members 100%?].

So if I book in L-class and use United MileagePlus number, will I get 50% as Lufthansa claims or 100% as United claims?

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

You should get 100 on united. Take a screenshot of the mileage plus page indicating this and save it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
There is no conflict present here. Each airline publishes their partners' fare classes and earnings potential (as you are aware).

So flying this 'L' fare on LH and crediting the miles to M&M you'd get 50%; crediting to UA MP you'd get 100%.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am just curious how you're going to fly a "Transcontinental" flight on LH.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I am just curious how you're going to fly a "Transcontinental" flight on LH.
There are seven continents, including Europe.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes but since Germany is considered to be generally in the middle of Europe it would be difficult for someone to fly "across" the continent as they don't fly Kiev to Azores nonstop.

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are seven continents, including Europe.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If the OP really means that he's flying Transcontinental with LH, then he should be careful as LH do not give 100% UA miles on all European fare codes - it's only for flights to destinations outside Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.