Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star-nundrum: LH F, US C, or TP C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Flyertalkers,

I need to travel soon ORD-OPO on miles. Needing to arrive in OPO before noon has limited my options.

At present, my best bets are ORD-EWR-OPO (in UA F and TP C), ORD-PHL-MAD-OPO (in US F, US C, and Portugalia C), or ORD-ATL-FRA-OPO (in UX Y+, LH F, and LH C). I've pretty much ruled out the first since I'd prefer a flat seat and not to arrive at 5:00 in the morning. The last option has less than an hour in FRA, so there won't be much time to hit up the lounge. The middle option has the benefit of being a new product that I have not tried, that I won't be able to get as a MP award for very much longer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
jsl42
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
normally I would say LH F all day long, but I am going to go with the middle option.

Right now you would have the old LH F product and it's really dated and as you said you would only have an hour in FRA. Also, the new US-C envoy seat is supposed to be really good. Also you would save the 10k miles. Finally, if there were IRROPS you would be stranded in PHL which is a *A hub with better access to options as opposed to ATL. So unless you have a fetish for caviar, the middle I think is your best bet.

My vote is for US C.

Last edited by colpuck; Mar 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
US Envoy is indeed a good product. I was really impressed when we flew it last summer. Alas, no caviar, but a good seat and good service.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Flying PHL-MAD-OPO will be less painful than transiting FRA. MAD-OPO is only a short flight compared to a couple hour flight from FRA. European C is nothing great. It is economy with the middle sear blocked. Given your lay flat criteria I'd go with US.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd do the US 330 Envoy as well given these options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.