Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Logistics of YQ for *A award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: nothing but freebies

Hello all,

Just got curious about logistics of FS among *A award, especially between one carrier which doesn't and the other one which does charge YQ. For example, UA don't charge YQ for ANY of *A award flight, where OZ do for ALL *A ticket redeemed with their miles.

...So, 1) if I redeem a UA award ticket with OZ miles, what happens to my paid YQ for that segment? Do OZ transfer YQ to UA, or just keep it in their pocket?

2) On opposite case, if I Redeem a OZ award ticket with UA miles, do OZ 'charge' YQ to UA?

Anything known about the flow?

Thanks,
edta450
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold

You can only redeem OZ award with OZ miles, and UA award with UA miles... Miles are not transferable between programs.....
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: nothing but freebies
Originally Posted by 123dd
You can only redeem OZ award with OZ miles, and UA award with UA miles... Miles are not transferable between programs.....
Umm.. Sorry If I confused you, but I meant *A award, or 'award seats from OZ flight redeemed with UA miles and v.v., per an agreement among star alliance members'.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:31 pm

I don't think that you will be able to get an answer to your question. The transfer of funds to pay for points tickets is proprietary information that is not known to the public.

With that said though, it would appear that the ticketing airline just pockets any YQ that they collect. This came out in 2011 when Aeroplan started charging YQ for airlines other than AC.

This caused quite an uproar and AE or AC (can't remember which) tried calming the savages by telling us that the YQ was being charged at the request of the ticketing airline to try and deflect us into thinking that this was a request by the operating carriers. They never clarified this by saying that the money was going straight to AC but they also never denied this. This is around the time when AC just gave up on trying to have discussions on FT because the environment was too toxic.

The YQ money might just be used to subsidize the purchase of the tickets from the operating carriers, who knows.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by edta450
Umm.. Sorry If I confused you, but I meant *A award, or 'award seats from OZ flight redeemed with UA miles and v.v., per an agreement among star alliance members'.
Sorry I misread your question....

Like the previous poster said, no one knows, an airline insider should be the best one to answer.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Sorry I misread your question....

Like the previous poster said, no one knows, an airline insider should be the best one to answer.
we sorta know, it is in writing from Aeroplan that the YQ is collected on behalf on the ticketing carrier
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

we sorta know, it is in writing from Aeroplan that the YQ is collected on behalf on the ticketing carrier
Then why are the us airlines exempted from it....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Then why are the us airlines exempted from it....
Don't know.. but BA charges YQ on its tickets issued with AA and AS miles - so it can happen.. and might eventually include all airlines to start charging tax after all it is revenue for the airlines.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
On award tickets, the operating carrier basically charges the ticketing carrier a predetermined amount for a flight segment that is flown. When submitting the charge, they would typically submit the YQ charge plus other taxes relating to that flight to the ticketing carrier as well.

For ticketing carriers that don't charge their FF program members YQ, they basically eat the cost of the YQ when the bill comes in from the operating carrier.

However, once this cost becomes unbearable (to the point where they can't make a reasonable profit), they would then charge their FF program members the YQ that is billed to them by the operating carrier.

Observation: Some award ticketing carriers such as AA don't charge YQ on most award tickets (with the exception of BA flights), however, they do sell miles (sometimes with generous bonuses) to their customers and can perhaps make a profit that way. Whereas carriers such as OZ (which charges YQ on all partner awards) typically are less generous in selling miles to their customers (maybe they don't even sell miles as well?) and need to collect YQ to offset their costs.

Last edited by daniellam; Jan 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:39 pm

AFAIK, YQ charges are exorbitant on SQ, MH, BA, QF & VA, sometimes the YQ charge is almost equal to the ticket price itself.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: KE MC
No YQ

1) No YQ on taking only UA, US, NZ carriers by redeeming OZ miles
2) No YQ on every *A carriers by UA miles
Charging YQ is sole privilege of ticketing carrier as described above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.