Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Xmas New Years period - getting to HK or Bangkok or Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to the forums and a relative novice at using miles to get business class tickets. We've got Amex points and Star Alliance miles, and we're trying to get to Bali (and then Sumba) from DC (or NYC) around Dec 26 returning around Jan 6. Can go via HK, Bangkok, Singapore, whatever. We're striking out so far. Any tips?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC
Go back in time 7 to 9 months, when business class award seats during the xmas holidays were still available.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

So, for next year, when can you start to look for seats for the holiday period?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I had the same problem: I live in nyc and was trying to get to bkk with united or ow over christmas, no luck. One option is to transfer your annex points to delta, redeem on cz lax to can (lie flat) then vn onward. What are your exact dates? This worked for me departing 12.20. Search first for space before redeeming obviously but I think your best bet getting to asia in j is this.

Since you're relatively new to redeeming points, you might want to post on the delta forum for help cobbling together your connections.

Better hurry, time is of the essence with the timeframe you have.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by lawrencew
Between 300 and 330 days before desired departure date, depending on Airline and FFP programme...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lawrencew
Late January or February. I booked business class PHL-AMS-SIN-PHL in May, and the options were very limited. I had one choice from Europe to Asia. Now the options look completely gone!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi, this is the poster's wife. Can you translate what you wrote? I don't know what any of those acronyms are! Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

we figured it out

China Southern LA to Guangzhou -- Thanks for the tip!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Connect in Seattle through Seoul on Asiana down to Bangkok or Singapore (Thai). Connect going back on UA through Tokyo. I am seeing some availability

The tricky part is going to be the domestic flights and getting from Bangkok/Singapore to Tokyo (some oneworld miles might help there).

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.