Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Warning about UA fliers using A3 to get *G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)

I'm sure this has been mentioned at some point here but I have 2 friends who have been burned by this (and just came to this realization myself) and so I think it's worth mentioning.

All over the net you now see reference to how easy it is to get Star Gold status through Aegean by flying only 20k miles. It's almost a legend in the FF online discussion.

However, if you fly UA (and if you're an American domestic traveler trying to accumulate *A status, you probably do) and like to try to get cheap tickets, be aware than many of your UA flights are only going to get you 50% mileage.

http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...-miles/#UNITED

(W,S,T,L,K,G fare buckets are pretty common if you book well in advance and get relatively cheap fares).

I'm not saying it's definitely not worth it, but be aware that getting *G is not as easy as 20k miles sounds.

Given that *G does not get you upgrades of any kind on UA (even to E+) as far as I know and that the United Club card gets you essentially the same benefits as *G (better even, since you get club access on domestic itineraries), you might be better off getting the Club card and trying to get status through UA's FF program than trying to get *G through A3.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sh76us
I'm sure this has been mentioned at some point here but I have 2 friends who have been burned by this (and just came to this realization myself) and so I think it's worth mentioning.

All over the net you now see reference to how easy it is to get Star Gold status through Aegean by flying only 20k miles. It's almost a legend in the FF online discussion.

However, if you fly UA (and if you're an American domestic traveler trying to accumulate *A status, you probably do) and like to try to get cheap tickets, be aware than many of your UA flights are only going to get you 50% mileage.

(W,S,T,L,K,G fare buckets are pretty common if you book well in advance and get relatively cheap fares).

I'm not saying it's definitely not worth it, but be aware that getting *G is not as easy as 20k miles sounds.

Given that *G does not get you upgrades of any kind on UA (even to E+) as far as I know and that the United Club card gets you essentially the same benefits as *G (better even, since you get club access on domestic itineraries), you might be better off getting the Club card and trying to get status through UA's FF program than trying to get *G through A3.
So, 40 is the new 20!

There is no free lunch!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: nobody

Well that isn't really news, but for non frequent fliers, it is still good deal to go with A3 as some long haul V fare is not that much more than the discount fare. Also, as of today, no one knows when your A3 *G membership will expire once you reach their highest status. So in the long run it is better than the United Club card. As A3 *G, you can access UCs on domestic itineraries unlike UA/US *G and 3x70lb bags on UA flights. The only thing you don't get is E+ and CPU.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Well that isn't really news, but for non frequent fliers, it is still good deal to go with A3 as some long haul V fare is not that much more than the discount fare. Also, as of today, no one knows when your A3 *G membership will expire once you reach their highest status. So in the long run it is better than the United Club card. As A3 *G, you can access UCs on domestic itineraries unlike UA/US *G and 3x70lb bags on UA flights. The only thing you don't get is E+ and CPU.
Ah, didn't realize that you can get domestic UC access with *G from A3. Interesting. Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This is not a hidden secret that some booking classes do not give you 100%.

All UA enthusiasts only need to focus on these when accumulating towards A3:

B, M, E, U, H, Q, V 100%
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are people stil able to do this?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do what?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Get Star Gold this way
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Get Star Gold this way
A3's chart hasn't changed so why wouldn't it be possible?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
You can have as many different *Gold memberships as you like (I have 2 <UA,SQ> and my business partner has 3 <UA,SQ,NZ>. The only 2 things that you can't do is get credit in more then 1 program per flight and when doing status matches, *A member airlines are not supposed to offer them to Elites of other *A airlines). You can get UA gold from your BA gold but not from your LH gold
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Ah, didn't realize that you can get domestic UC access with *G from A3. Interesting. Thanks.
*G can access any *A member carriers' owned lounges with the *A Gold logo at the entrance whether travelling domestic or international. The only exceptions are UA and US *G members who can only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the US when travelling in conjunction with a *A international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.