Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need help booking an F or C award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help booking an F or C award

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I tried to book this for October - but simply gave up .

The point availability for Star Alliance was just to small to even get a Y seat.

I even attempted to do this on two rewards (one from North America to AKL/SYD, and a second one from AKL-PPT) and it didn't work due to no availability.

I too was frequently crashing the Aeroplan engine and loved to curse the spinning beach ball.

You may be able to get award space LAX-PPT using American Aadvantage points on Air Tahiti Nui if that is any help.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I tried to book this for October - but simply gave up .

The point availability for Star Alliance was just to small to even get a Y seat.

I even attempted to do this on two rewards (one from North America to AKL/SYD, and a second one from AKL-PPT) and it didn't work due to no availability.

I too was frequently crashing the Aeroplan engine and loved to curse the spinning beach ball.

You may be able to get award space LAX-PPT using American Aadvantage points on Air Tahiti Nui if that is any help.

Your problem is not with Star Alliance availability - there is almost always availability to AKL/SYD via Asia. Your problem is with Aeroplan which does not allow such routing - and for AKL/SYD only allows the direct flights on UA/NZ/AC (with the last one costing $1000+ in fees)

Likewise NA-Asia-AKL-PPT is legal with UA and other miles - but would never be allowed with Aeroplan.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for all the ideas, but I gave up. Going to be hard to get to PPT, so I have changed my mind and I am looking at going to the Seychelles.

Aeroplan is useless as it gives me an error of "We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again." whenever I try.

I would like to have a stopover in LHR or CDG for a day or 2 if I can arrange that. When trying to look for space on UAL, for my dates, I am only offered flights on Ethiopian, and showing no F availability.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:56 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
There is no F on Ethiopian, only J, which is why you don't see any first class availability. .

You can likely book this with a stopover in LHR / CDG if you look for the availability on segments individually, eventually switching to a ET departure city in Europe.

You'll have better luck with LHR since it is better served for Star Alliance than CDG in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.