Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Elite get me preferred seating on Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Air Canada Elite get me preferred seating on Star Alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Question Will Air Canada Elite get me preferred seating on Star Alliance?

Travel experts,

I hold Air Canada Elite status - Star Alliance Gold.

But, can I use that to get preferred seating (e.g,. bulk head, exit row) on other Star Alliance partners? (e.g, Luftansa, South African Airways)

And, could this be in advance - or only at check-in?

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: EBG
I don't know, but if you join M&M you could pick your seat from their webpage. I'm EBG without any points on my M&M account and do that frequently on different members of Star Alliance, but you'll need the Amadeus confirmation number. It doesn't work with LX though, as they use another ticketing system.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
On some airlines, yes. On some airlines no. On some airlines, it's really convoluted - for example, on US Airways, you get preferred seating if you have a *G number in the reservation and you don't pick a seat, but the seats aren't available for you to choose.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BardK
I don't know, but if you join M&M you could pick your seat from their webpage. I'm EBG without any points on my M&M account and do that frequently on different members of Star Alliance, but you'll need the Amadeus confirmation number. It doesn't work with LX though, as they use another ticketing system.
No need to join M&M, you can do it on Lufthansa.com under "my bookings" just the same.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Obviously preferred seating is not a *G benefit, my experience so far has been:

LX:
- generally do a great job at extending benefits to *G members
- exit rows bookable for *G in advance
- *G can often also book the "blocked" seats in C and F (very useful as LX usually blocks the single seats in C and window seats in F)

LH:
-no recognizion at all

NZ:
- *G members have access to Space Plus seating similar to UAs E+ (my last experience was a year ago, not sure whether NZ still has Space Plus with the new seating configs)

UA:
- Booking E+ seats no longer is available to *G members, but IME many UA F agents will give you an E+ seat at the airport. particularly on routes with fewer UA/CO elites (read: Canada-US)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
LH:
-no recognizion at all
I managed to assign myself a blocked seat in C (F cabin, C service) with my *G, although I never actually got to fly that flight...
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with both Lufthansa and South African Airways. Both were happy to assign seats. But, neither would give me any kind of preferred seating with my *G.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ScarletKnight
Just got off the phone with both Lufthansa and South African Airways. Both were happy to assign seats. But, neither would give me any kind of preferred seating with my *G.
No surprises there, both played by the book. As it was said before, preferred seating is not a published benefit of *G status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.