Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Using * Alliance Award to fly BNA > ADD RT for adoption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC

A good friend from college and his wife are adopting a child from Addis Ababa, Ethopia next summer. To help save on adoption expenses, I'm trying to help him gain 2 RT award tix from Nashville to Addis Ababa, Ethopia in July/Aug 12 timeframe. I'm a rookie to the FF game, and most of my knowledge is OneWorld. After some research, gleff suggests that * Alliance has reasonably good award availability to Africa. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...to-redeem-for/

My friends have excellent credit, but no mileage balances. Should they pursue Continental, US Air, United, etc? i.e. What is the best strategy to gain 2 RT award flights to Addis Ababa from the US? Coach would be fine. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by baxterboy12
A good friend from college and his wife are adopting a child from Addis Ababa, Ethopia next summer. To help save on adoption expenses, I'm trying to help him gain 2 RT award tix from Nashville to Addis Ababa, Ethopia in July/Aug 12 timeframe. I'm a rookie to the FF game, and most of my knowledge is OneWorld. After some research, gleff suggests that * Alliance has reasonably good award availability to Africa. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...to-redeem-for/

My friends have excellent credit, but no mileage balances. Should they pursue Continental, US Air, United, etc? i.e. What is the best strategy to gain 2 RT award flights to Addis Ababa from the US? Coach would be fine. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
The strategy would be to just get enough miles for the trip and book it. It depends on how your friend can get the miles. Flying? Credit Cards?
Availability is usually quite good. And there is a good chance that in the next couple of weeks ET becomes a member of *A so they have another option to get into ADD.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If they've got the credit I'd apply for the OnePass Plus card (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...x?offer=OPP40K) for 25K points each (it says 40K but really likely that it will only be 25K) and also the MileagePlus Explorer card (https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/united.htm) if you can find a good sign-up bonus there, too.

The CO and UA accounts will be merged at the end of the year so all those points will end up in a single account for each of them.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
US has historically had some of the best buy miles promos in *A. They currently are running the Grand Slam as well, you might want to take a look at that.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
US has historically had some of the best buy miles promos in *A.
They raised their prices ~30% yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.