Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Complete lack for International Awards Availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Amex Platinum

Has anyone noticed a lack of available awards flights? I'm trying to book a summer/fall holiday to Europe and can't find anything in F/B. Even coach is rare.

I'm using the ANA tool and generally know about looking for the hub to hub flights first. SFO --> LHR, FRA, ZRH. I had three F awards trip in the last year and can't find anything until Jan of 2012.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm in the midst of booking this:

for July/August and I've found flights where I need them on the days I want them, all in C. Sure, I have to settle for LGA-ORD-LAX instead of p.s. service, but I'm seeing what I want otherwise. I suppose it is all relative.

Have you looked at other US gateways?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nice itinerary. One day, I'd love to do a Southern Hemisphere RTW, but we still need the Ocania-South America connection.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:35 am
soy

Programs: various
I think things have got pretty scarce recently. Perhaps the improving economy is to blame (or maybe the US miles bonanza) but I really struggled to find 2XJ TATL in August. Eventually got LHR-YUL but I was amazed at how scarce things were. I used a lot of awardnexus points trying to find anything
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:58 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hardeight44
Has anyone noticed a lack of available awards flights? I'm trying to book a summer/fall holiday to Europe and can't find anything in F/B. Even coach is rare.

I'm using the ANA tool and generally know about looking for the hub to hub flights first. SFO --> LHR, FRA, ZRH. I had three F awards trip in the last year and can't find anything until Jan of 2012.
LH is introducing the A380 on SFO-FRA so that eliminates F awards for everybody with no M&M status.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
Have you looked at other US gateways?
I tried LAX and DEN. I've just about given up. I'm seeing awards to NRT and HKG so I think that is the new game plan.

I noticed that a new St Regis just opened in Lhasa (LXA). Could be pretty amazing if I can pull HKG to LXA on the award.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hardeight44
I tried LAX and DEN. I've just about given up. I'm seeing awards to NRT and HKG so I think that is the new game plan.

I noticed that a new St Regis just opened in Lhasa (LXA). Could be pretty amazing if I can pull HKG to LXA on the award.
HKG to LXA will mean an overnight stay in Chengdu (CTU), which is not too bad. Air China usually have good award availability on domestic and HK flights. However, I think you might want to consider taking the train instead. The train service (Lhasa Express) is very nice. It can be taken from Chengdu or Guangzhou. When traveling to Tibet, a separate Tibet Travel Permit is required besides the Chinese Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.