Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

US-Cambodia (PNH) Suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold

I'm looking to book a trip to Cambodia from the US (ORD - but can position if need be) in March. Does anyone have suggestions on routing to keep the cost down on a *A carrier? United is my preferred and I'm looking for EQMs. If United, I'd like a good shot at an upgrade from coach using SWUs, if an other carrier I'd probably buy the mid-level package (such as Premium on Thai). Best pricing I've found is about $2,000 on Thai (mid-level) and UA is $2500 for Economy (a little high for the market). Would love to hit $1,000.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sometimes it's just not worth trying for a 100% *A itinerary. When we went to Cambodia last November, we flew UA to BKK and took Bangkok Air from there. Of course, we were going to Siem Reap where no *A carrier flies, but flying to PNH would be even cheaper.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Pretty much for sure BKK on UA itself

Then take Air Asia - even more absolutely for sure. BUT if something goes wrong with your itinerary DO NOT expect Air Asia to give a darn. Though usually you can change on line by upgrading to a higher fare and even then the costs are low compared to TG or Bangkok Airways (?PG). So do not book a 2 hour connection in BKK back onto UA. You will eat all your nails and then some. Plan on a good day in BKK in both directions.

BKK has been expensive last couple of years. Fares this summer are outrageous - I think they are leaving them high with traffic good and only having sales at the last minute.

You should definitely look at SGN (Saigon / HCMC) - sometimes UA fares there are excellent. Problem (or fun trip) is onwards to PNH. Fares expensive on Vietnam Airlines. Go overland / by boat. Lots of info on the web.

SIN might just be an alternative to BKK - have never really considered that as I always have business to do in BKK when going to PNH. Also KUL might have an angle as Air Asia flies from there to PNH - but I am not sure how you would make that work. There may be a good UA interline fare to there - never looked.

You want to fly UA metal surely don't you for lifetime miles?

You need to go to REP if you are in Cambodia. $6 and all day on a bus or quite cheap by plane.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've been preferring SIN over BKK for the last couple of years because the latter has just been too expensive for me. But now SIN is also creeping up in price. And the MI flights SIN-PNH v.v. tend to be astronomical (and no miles). SGN might be a possibility, especially with the fare currently propped up in the 'mileage run' forum. This would require an additional visa (or two/multiple entry if for the return also) but could be cheaper.

Unfortunately for the OP, prices BKK-PNH-BKK are more expensive than PNH-BKK-PNH and flying into/out of REP even moreso.

TG sells a C ticket REP-BKK-LAX for under $3K, you'll never see this in the opposite direction. I think it's more like $5K.

If you're game to use miles I'd say find the cheapest flight into Asia and then use 20K (Y) or 30K (C) award to complete the trip.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would check Asiana from a gateway city such as LAX. No upgrade and you need to watch the EQM but they do fly there. They actually are one of the few that fly into Siem Reap.

Flying into Siem Reap can be relatively expensive, so you need to include that cost into the calculation. Air Asia from KL flies there but then you need to get to Malaysia. Bangkok Air flies there but is costly for the 45 min flight. I think it is around 11,000 Baht ($350 USD) from Bangkok to Siem Rep roundtrip. (The capital is cheaper to fly into than Siem Rep from outside the country.)

Hope that makes some sense. I am in the US at the moment and it is 4 am.

PS I do not think they have a Premium economy product. However, I believe some aircraft have a 34" pitch in economy. Great airline but earning 70% EQM on V and W fares plus 70% RDM make it difficult for me to choose them. However, going to Siem Rep I would have to look carefully at the option. Farecompare shows some very good fares from LAX but I am not sure if they are bookable.

PPS Flying United into Asia, North or South and booking an award ticket might be the best option, as was suggested upthread. If you find a good fare, send me a PM. I need to book a flight to Asia within the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Jan 26, 2011 at 2:27 am
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Have you looked at Asiana?

I left Cambodia in mid-2009, but in the year or two before that I was finding very good fares and schedules on Asiana.

It's not UA (so no SWUs), and the ICN-PNH flights are not luxurious (PNH-ICN was a red-eye on a B737 I think, or maybe A320), but the service and food are great and ICN is a wonderful transit point.

[Explore SE Asia beat me to it!]

Last edited by Michael; Jan 26, 2011 at 2:36 am
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
W fare to BKK about $1400. Rest up a day or two in BKK. Then use 20K UA FF miles on Thai for a BKK/PNH flight or buy a rt on Thai should be less than $400. UA has good fare to SGN but don't know about the SGN/PNH logistics.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Cambodia on SA

First of all, forget UA. You're flying to Southeast Asia, home to some of the world's best airlines. With a bit of work, you can have a great flight and eat the miles too. Here's what I suggest:

1) Fly Singapore Airlines. Figure out how to get a business class upgrade using united miles/SWU. Can't help you there, but others can.
2) Thai Airways is extremely pleasant. I'd consider it as a strong second.
3) Haven't used Asiana, but the skytrax reviews are very positive and it seems to be cheapest.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Does Bangkok Air still have the travel pass? When I used that a few years ago. I first flew UA IAD-NRT-BKK and then with the air pass it was BKK-PHN, then PHN-REP, then REP-LPQ and finally LPQ-BKK. It was a great deal but with a 3 flight minimum.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:41 pm

There are lots of travel agents in Saigon offering overland tours by bus or private car to Cambodia. Saigon to Siem Reap is only around 6 hours driving, Saigon to Pnom Penh is only 160 km, 3-4 hours.
Fly in and out of Saigon. Typically some pretty good fares and good connections on the taiwanese airlines, a bit more expensive but still good connections on Cathay. Star is usually either more expensive or has a really bad connection (like 10 hours in ICN or NRT).
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Not overland...?

Just did a SE Asia trip this past summer which included Thailand and Cambodia. I had a blast on my overland segments of TH-KH and KH-TH. We had nice fights in and out of BKK but was happy to see more of the countries over land rather than to be stuck on a crappy short flight. Sure, it takes a bit more time, but I enjoyed it
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
PNH is probably one the most unconnected airports in SE Asia when it comes to long haul. As others have mentioned, you can try flying into SIN, KUL and taking LCCs.

I recommend the drive from BKK. You can explore a bit, and the road is now paved from the Thai border so you can stop in Siam Reap and check out the ruins.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgmsteven
W fare to BKK about $1400. Rest up a day or two in BKK. Then use 20K UA FF miles on Thai for a BKK/PNH flight or buy a rt on Thai should be less than $400. UA has good fare to SGN but don't know about the SGN/PNH logistics.
Using 20K miles for a 1hr flight (each way) isn't the best use of miles. TG is selling Q fares (cheapest mileage earning) BKK-PNH r/t at 9995B about $335.

PG is $240 BKK-PNH r/t and $350 BKK-REP r/t.

You're looking at about $290 r/t SGN-PNH on VN. And that for a flight scheduled as 45 min block to block. Likely more to REP, though I didn't price it.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
First of all, forget UA. You're flying to Southeast Asia, home to some of the world's best airlines. With a bit of work, you can have a great flight and eat the miles too. Here's what I suggest:

1) Fly Singapore Airlines. Figure out how to get a business class upgrade using united miles/SWU. Can't help you there, but others can.
2) Thai Airways is extremely pleasant. I'd consider it as a strong second.
3) Haven't used Asiana, but the skytrax reviews are very positive and it seems to be cheapest.
1) SWU's are useless on SQ. UA MP does not offer upgrades with miles for SQ either. There's no help to be had here.
2) TG is simple enough.
3) OZ is a wonderful airline, the planes into REP/PNH are narrow bodies but not too bad. The return flight (overnight) would be more difficult to endure. Cheap OZ fares will earn 0->70% for UA MP.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Does Bangkok Air still have the travel pass? When I used that a few years ago. I first flew UA IAD-NRT-BKK and then with the air pass it was BKK-PHN, then PHN-REP, then REP-LPQ and finally LPQ-BKK. It was a great deal but with a 3 flight minimum.
PG does still have their Discovery pass:

http://bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-t...ry-airpass.php

PG no longer flies REP-PNH v.v. which would make the pass (with a minimum of 3 coupons) not the best way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.