Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That´s not an easy one.
I´d probably go for AC due to lounge access in the US, better redepmtion rates, lower threshold for *G status (35k vs. 100k), but you´ll have to make the decision.
Thanks Jasper2009 for your help. PEK-PVG is 1300 miles roundtrip each time, and next year I will go that route every week or just about. I have little choice on that route but everything combined I should be able to reach 100k if I put all miles to one *A program. Would you still recommend AC over UA?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by deadlocklegend
Thanks Jasper2009 for your help. PEK-PVG is 1300 miles roundtrip each time, and next year I will go that route every week or just about. I have little choice on that route but everything combined I should be able to reach 100k if I put all miles to one *A program. Would you still recommend AC over UA?
If you will fly 100k miles (all in booking classes that earn 100%) the choice actually is UA 1K or AC SE status.

I´d personally go for AC, but I´m sure some FTers will disagree with me.

UA 1K:
pro: 6SWUs which can be used on most fares / upgrades confirmed at time of booking if there´s availability, upgrading using miles (sometimes with a hefty co-pay), unlimited domestic upgrades, 100% mileage bonus
contra: fuel surcharges on redemptions, redemption rates are ok, but not fantastic, starnet-blocking, no lounge access in NA

AC SE:
pro: lounge access in NA, (nearly unlimited) confirmed int´l upgrades if you fly int´l and book the more expensive B/Y fares, excellent redemption rates, no fuel surcharges on *A partners, 100% mileage bonus
contra: upgrade system not great if you buy cheap economy fares (upgrades can´t be confirmed at time of booking), no upgrades using miles

If you don´t mind spending some extra $$ on B/Y fares and fly via YVR, I´d definitely go with AC. Their C class product is much superior to UA´s old 777 which is often used on the PEK-SFO route. I´d also say that UA´s new C (which is much better than the old C) is inferior to AC C, but not everyone would agree with me on this one.

If you tend to buy cheaper economy fares, I´d probably go with UA due to better upgrade chances.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:21 pm

If you will fly 100k miles (all in booking classes that earn 100%) the choice actually is UA 1K or AC SE status.

I´d personally go for AC, but I´m sure some FTers will disagree with me.
If you tend to buy cheaper economy fares, I´d probably go with UA due to better upgrade chances.
Thanks Jasper2009 for the detailed response. These are very good insights. Seem like with SWU UA may be the more reliable upgrade choice for me.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
(1) What is your home airport?
SFO-SJC / MAA

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Y - or other Economy Fares

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?

30-40 K Miles ( US-India / within US) Primarilly in Asian Carriers (Cathy / EK)

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
No. However have around 50K RDM with United MP- Accural from Airline partners
Also 20K in 9W (Jet Airways in India) - Keeping for few short domestic award flights)

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Priority Services (Check in / Stand by) and Free Lounge Access and Possible Upgrade (TransPacific with Miles)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
US Domestic and Trans Pacific

(7) Preferred Airlines
Nothing in specific - but likes United in US.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
primarily Pleasure - Yes, Can Choose Airlines

(9) What is the most important aspect of a scheme for you?
Upgrades / Lounge Access

Last edited by Whizkid; Nov 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm Reason: Added mode info
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: EK G, BD G, CO G, FB G, LH SEN, IHG Plat Amb, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Markie

(1) What is your home airport? EMA, but will travel out of LHR/BHX most
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C when on business, lowest econ when pleasure. Job is ~75% travel
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? EK gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access (when travelling pleasure) good redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often about to begin intra-europe, with occasional US. For pleasure, almost always to Sweden
(7) Preferred Airlines no experience of any *a
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mainly work, and will all be in C

Markie - Co-Mod *A
Looking for advice on service as well as status match opps. Don't have much to compare with, fly almost always with EK currently, but also use BA, CX occasionally

Thanks in advance,
FF
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: QR Gold
(1) VIE
(2) economy and economy+
(3) 50k - 100k
(4) nothing on staralliance (skyteam elite+)
(5) upgrades if possible and +1 guest to lounge
(6) Europe
(7) Austrian
(8) both work and pleasure in economy and economy+

what I'm looking for is gold status in star alliance, and I'm not sure I can qualify for 100k miles to be senator in miles and more, since they are not counting segments at all and I still need to fly a bit with skyteam to retrain gold status for 2012
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:29 am

Stupid question, but is it right that if I try to put my miles into an AC account then I won't have access to the C lounge (in ZRH) when flying LX in Y, is that correct? (Till I've *G on them, I mean)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
(1) What is your home airport?
ZRH

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Y, mostly in S booking class, unfortunately on SQ can't collect miles

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
Approx 40k per year in S Economy, much more in non-milage classes (thank you SQ)

(4) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access, upgrades

More information: I'm already FTL with LH and do like it, but with my amount of travel which is unfortunately split in between LH/LX (in S economy) at around 40k/yearly, 25k on EK, and around 100k in non-milage SQ, I would absolutely love to make *G so I could access the *G lounges.

I don't need to requalify on LH for the next 2 years, so I could easily use any program which has a 2-year qualification period.

I looked into TK and Asiana, which seems to have the lowest needed amount of miles, especially Asiana with only 40k during a 2 year period seems extremely low.

I've around 16 European flights (8 R/T on LX, giving me around 1000 miles with exec bonus there each) and a couple of intercontinentals. The intercontinentals will net me the same amount of miles with Asiana (minus the 25% exec bonus) but how about the European ones? With LX/LH, you get a fixed amount of miles (750) no matter how far the distance was for European flights, how would that be with Asiana?

I could hit *G with Asiana over 2 years apparently, when I just drop the intercontinental flights there..

How is the award scheme with Asiana, is it bad? I mean, getting *G seems so easy with them.. there must be something bad about it, no?

Or would any other *airline be better in my case?

Thanks for your help

Have you considered BD Diamond club? I know that there is potential for it being absorbed to MM, but in mean time, fairly easy to get status and from my experience, redemptions have been fairly easy and attractive from a mileage cost basis. If you can get *G in Diamond club, MM will bring you over as senator and keep it for 2 years (this is what LH has done in the past when acquiring other FF programs)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid question, but is it right that if I try to put my miles into an AC account then I won't have access to the C lounge (in ZRH) when flying LX in Y, is that correct? (Till I've *G on them, I mean)
You should still be able to enter the C lounge in ZRH when flying LX as a FTL. It doesn´t matter what airline´s FFP you credit the flight to.

You only need to show your FTL card and boarding pass to the lounge agent and shouldn´t have any trouble. Same is true for priority check-in, priority boarding and priority security (if applicable, not sure about the details at ZRH). The only difference will be that your status won´t be on the flight manifest, but as the op-up chances as a FTL are pretty much non-existent, I wouldn´t care about that too much.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:23 am

You should still be able to enter the C lounge in ZRH when flying LX as a FTL. It doesn´t matter what airline´s FFP you credit the flight to.

You only need to show your FTL card and boarding pass to the lounge agent and shouldn´t have any trouble. Same is true for priority check-in, priority boarding and priority security (if applicable, not sure about the details at ZRH). The only difference will be that your status won´t be on the flight manifest, but as the op-up chances as a FTL are pretty much non-existent, I wouldn´t care about that too much.
Thanks a lot

With that question answered, I'm going for AC *G next year then

Not as shinny as SEN-hood I guess, but should do it for lounge access worldwide
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot

With that question answered, I'm going for AC *G next year then

Not as shinny as SEN-hood I guess, but should do it for lounge access worldwide
I beg your pardon! If you want the AC Elite card, you should be a little more appreciative.

I´d say AC E status is more valuable than LH SEN status depending on your flying pattern (upgrades on AC, they even have flat beds on all aircrafts )
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:14 am

(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y or discounted rates
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25~30K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? CO Gold, KE Morning Calm
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, maybe upgrade?
(6) Which routes do you fly most often : YVR-ICN
(7) Preferred Airlines : SQ, KE, OZ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

I am trying to decide between CO and AC..
I received CO Gold status via SM this year(from KE), and now I don't know if I should collect the mileage with CO.. the 100% bonus sounds pretty nice, in addition I just found out that the 100% bonus also applies to the AC flights..

Next year I'll have two trips to ICN, which are around 10k+ each, so with the 100% bonus it'll add up to 40k+.. which will make it so easy to maintain my gold status with CO.

Many people say that AC has one of the best FFP around, but I don't see why.. is it about the redemption rate? or low qualifying mile? (35k I believe?)

I admit that it is so much easier to collect miles on AC from using Canadian CCs, but those miles don't qualify for the status, right?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:29 am

(1) What is your home airport? BWI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y and C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? USAir Silver (nearly to gold)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel and priority services when flying the airline
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines? Anything with most routes from BWI
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work and pleasure. I am aloowed to select my airlines
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:30 pm

Aegan, United or US Air?

(1) Home airport? VIE/MXP
(2) Fares? Y discount
(3) Distance miles: 30.000, but many short hops in Europe
(4) I am a M&M Frequent Traveler
(5) Important: Star Alliance Gold perks (priority service, lounge access). I also like to get good deals on awards
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: intra-Europe plus 1-2 times per yr TATL
(7) none especially, but most of my routes are served by LX,OS,LH
(8) I travel on my own budget, i.e. could buy higher fares if there is some value in it.

So far, I came up with the following:
(a) go for Aegan, because they offer 500 miles for every segment on LX, even in E
(b) qualify for gold via segments at United or US Air (I do more than 60 segments). Question: do I get credit for segments, which yield zero miles (like the OS fares in O, and T)?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Platinum
Which *A FF program (based out of SIN)

I've been regularly reading flyertalk for about 5 years now with an occasional post... A friend recently asked me this question and I've been pondering it for a while.. this friend is moving to Singapore (from USA), and is currently is DL Gold (no status with anyone else), and a handful of miles with AA.

Her work will involve travel mostly within Asia, however there will be about 1-2 trips a year to the US (starting with the first trip in early Jan to BOS on UA from SIN in J).

Does it make more sense to sign up for UA MP or SingaporeAirline KrisFlyer (or Lufthansa or ANA?) My gut says MP but i'd like to hear your suggestions...

My logic is as follows. I figure there's very little use of miles for personal travel within asia because its so cheap to travel within asia AND the taxes on award tickets just don't make it worth it... so its probably best to use miles mainly for long haul redemptions and/or upgrades. And for that, US based ff programs just tend to be easier to deal with in terms of redemptions, and they also allow you to do "more" w/ your miles (upgrades from low coach fares, etc)... but i'd love to hear thoughts on this.. what would you do if you were moving to singapore and were starting from scratch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.