Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Business Class Going East from Europe???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA

I am planning a business class jaunt to Asia from Europe and have bags of flexibility on when to do it!!! With a number of good airlines heading East from Europe (some I have used and some not) I was wondering what people considered the best business class on offer??

I realise you can't redeem on 77W/A380 on SQ but comparing SQ, TG, NZ, OZ, LH, LX, TK, SK, CA and OS, which one comes out best??
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by rjch19
I realise you can't redeem on 77W/A380 on SQ but comparing SQ, TG, NZ, OZ, LH, LX, TK, SK, CA and OS, which one comes out best??
You can indeed redeem on 77W/A380 on SQ. I have done it more than once.

East is rather vague description...

TG flies 77W between CDG and BKK - might be option...

OS has best food if that matters for you...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by vbroucek
OS has best food if that matters for you...
indeed, same company as TK.
TK was excellent on the 77W, true lie flat pods, excellent food.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:15 pm

LX looks great.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If you're redeeming, your FF programme might offer QR. Though not *A, they're top notch when it comes to service.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Assuming you are going to the Far east (S.E asia and North Asia) then the best business seat available is CDG-BKK with TG.

If you are going a bit closer (e.g India) then the LX A330 (avoid C on the A340 as it is just a normal slopey seat) is the best option. ^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:42 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rjch19
I am planning a business class jaunt to Asia from Europe and have bags of flexibility on when to do it!!! With a number of good airlines heading East from Europe (some I have used and some not) I was wondering what people considered the best business class on offer??

Best business class IMHO is NZ LHR-HKG. TG on CDG-BKK is nice as well however this is a 77W leased from 9W which might or might not be there by the time you fly. TG changes equipment faster than some people their underwear.

SQ always is a good choice even so personally I am neither a fan of their service nor of their seat.

LX is great in service and if you get the new C seat there hardware will be good as well.

OZ is most probably the best in service of all those carriers but their hard product to/from Europe is still the sloped seat. They are upgrading slowly to a new, really nice layout so if you can get this than I would go for them.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
You haven't included NH on your list and I'm not sure if NRT is on your itinerary but NH operates 77Ws with new business seats between FRA-NRT and LHR-NRT (starting in a couple of days). Awards may be hard to get, however.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...edemption.html
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
TG

I'd suggest TG or OZ. TG has the Biz lounge at BKK and OZ has phenomenal service/cuisine. Their Lie-flat seats are pretty comfortable too. The new OZ quadra smartum (their name for flat seat) is only available on select flights to/from SFO and LAX for long haul; its in the same type of config as new EY seats and DL 764's.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by ande777emt
TG has the Biz lounge at BKK
Excuse me, but the TG business lounges in BKK are crap and the "new" BKK is the worst airport I have been for ages. I try avoiding it as much as possible...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I apologize that I am American. Remember Americans have extremely low standards for lounges. Compared to RCC's and US Airways clubs, the TG Biz lounge in BKK is a major upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Excuse me, but the TG business lounges in BKK are crap and the "new" BKK is the worst airport I have been for ages. I try avoiding it as much as possible...
At least they have spas.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:28 am

100 % agree. BKK is the most inefficient new airport in asia. The lounges are ok (good compared to the typical lounges in the US, sub par compared with other asian lounges), but not great. And the TG business seat is old generation (slope - similar to the old gen LX, LH, SQ etc). TG has a few leased 77W with good seats, but what i have read they will return them and replace them with 2 class 777.

It likely depends more from where to where you want to go. I would not do two extra conenctions just to be on a somewhat better airline.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What program are you redeeming with, and where do you want to go in Asia?

Knowing the answers to those questions would help with the advice. For instance, some flight combinations might give you really really nice business class, but would force redeye connections or overnight stopovers- but you might want that or not care. Plus the rules on some programs work better for some routings than others.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
At least they have spas.
AFAIK, in first class lounges only and my comment was about business in response to comment about business. So please do not compare apples and oranges...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.