Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best business product from Europe to BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ

Which of the following *A carrier business products from Europe to BKK would you recommend?

TK (IST-BKK)
LH (FRA-BKK, MUC-BKK)
LX (ZRH-BKK)
OS (VIE-BKK)
TG (FRA-BKK, ZRH-BKK, MUC-BKK)

Thanks!

Last edited by boazs; Jun 9, 2010 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by boazs
Which of the following *A carrier business products from Europe to BKK would you recommend?

TK (IST-BKK)
LH (FRA-BKK, MUC-BKK)
LX (ZRH-BKK)
OS (VIE-BKK)
TG (FRA-BKK, ZRH-BKK, MUC-BKK)

Thanks!
The best option, although not listed by you, is TG CDG-BKK which will be operated by a 77W leased from Jet Airways as from 16th June 2010. It is the same aircraft as the TK aircraft and has these nice fully flat seats in C. This seat is IMO is actually the best C seat in the sky.

I would not choose TK because firstly the service is pretty poor and there is a very high chance of an equipment swap to A340/A330. If you can't get TG CDG-BKK then I would pick either LH, LX or OS based upon schedule as all 3 are pretty similar IMO.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:50 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
The best option, although not listed by you, is TG CDG-BKK which will be operated by a 77W leased from Jet Airways as from 16th June 2010. It is the same aircraft as the TK aircraft and has these nice fully flat seats in C. This seat is IMO is actually the best C seat in the sky.

I would not choose TK because firstly the service is pretty poor and there is a very high chance of an equipment swap to A340/A330. If you can't get TG CDG-BKK then I would pick either LH, LX or OS based upon schedule as all 3 are pretty similar IMO.
Those do look like some of the best C seats around. Almost identical to the AC ones I'm used to (http://www.flatseats.com/Gallery/AC-J-1.htm) but they seem to address many of the minor faults. 1) Much wider. 2) Larger screen. 3) the screen faces outward so you can watch something during take off and landing...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:06 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Very good advise! And indeed, the 9W seat is very nice even so I find the NZ (and VS) seat to be even nicer due to the ottoman which can be used by another passenger for dinner and the very clever mattress design.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Rather than start a new thread I've a similar question.

Right now ticketed on JFK-FRA on LH F transferring to TG FRA-BKK in F. Not sure if I can route through CDG to pick up the new TG 77W unfortunately.

So this is my conundrum: Should I keep the TG FRA-BKK or take LH FRA-BKK? Staying on LH through would allow access to the FCT/FCL (for a 8 hour transit), taking TG would allow access to TG F lounge in BKK for a 4 hour transit.

I've flown TG F before, but never LH.

TIA
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:20 am

I like the TG seat on the 747 (as long as they don't do theier infamous equipment changes to the old config 747) much better than the LH seat. More privacy, more space, quieter cabin etc.
The huge disadvantage of the LH747 is the completely missing privacy.

On the other hand the SEN lounges TG uses are nothing special. Typically very crowded, mediocre food offering. The FCT (and also the FCLs) are much, much better.
I probably would take the TG flight, store my carry on at the SEN lounge and take the train into town and walk around a bit. Also TG has two flights, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. LH only has an evening flight (leaving even later than the TG flight). So TG should cut your waiting time in FRA a bit.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Rather than start a new thread I've a similar question.

Right now ticketed on JFK-FRA on LH F transferring to TG FRA-BKK in F. Not sure if I can route through CDG to pick up the new TG 77W unfortunately.

So this is my conundrum: Should I keep the TG FRA-BKK or take LH FRA-BKK? Staying on LH through would allow access to the FCT/FCL (for a 8 hour transit), taking TG would allow access to TG F lounge in BKK for a 4 hour transit.

I've flown TG F before, but never LH.

TIA
Ask in the LH forum but I think that if you have a same day arriving F BP then you get access to the FCL regardless of whether you are continuing on LH metal. I am not 100% though... you may have to be continuing on LH. You could get around that problem by purchasing a cheap LH domestic flight and presenting that along with your F pass at the lounge.

Personally I prefer TG for both seat comfort and service.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im especially interested in knowing the differences in service between the LX and OS flights to BKK. They both leave right before midnight. Is the dinner service abbreviated so pax can sleep? I prefer to enjoy the full service so dont like these late-night flights.

Also, is the CDG-BKK 773 always this 9W aircraft? or is it swapped out occasionally?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I like the TG seat on the 747 (as long as they don't do theier infamous equipment changes to the old config 747) much better than the LH seat. More privacy, more space, quieter cabin etc.
The huge disadvantage of the LH747 is the completely missing privacy.

On the other hand the SEN lounges TG uses are nothing special. Typically very crowded, mediocre food offering. The FCT (and also the FCLs) are much, much better.
I probably would take the TG flight, store my carry on at the SEN lounge and take the train into town and walk around a bit. Also TG has two flights, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. LH only has an evening flight (leaving even later than the TG flight). So TG should cut your waiting time in FRA a bit.
On the day I'm traveling TG's early flight isn't available. I'll try to switch dates as there seems to be available for TG921 on days around my currently scheduled flights.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask in the LH forum but I think that if you have a same day arriving F BP then you get access to the FCL regardless of whether you are continuing on LH metal. I am not 100% though... you may have to be continuing on LH. You could get around that problem by purchasing a cheap LH domestic flight and presenting that along with your F pass at the lounge.

Personally I prefer TG for both seat comfort and service.
Took care of everything. Changed the flights and now into FRA on LH F. Onward to CDG (LH C so get FCL access) and then CDG-BKK on the new 77W.

Now I just need to hope there is no plane substitution!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:04 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Took care of everything. Changed the flights and now into FRA on LH F. Onward to CDG (LH C so get FCL access) and then CDG-BKK on the new 77W.

This routing screams TRIP REPORT. ^
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This routing screams TRIP REPORT. ^
It's still a couple of months away unfortunately. I'm as enthused about the lounges as the flights, especially TGs new 773.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT

Hi dsquared37 great way to get the best of both worlds esp the FCL, hope you have plenty of time.

Keep an eye on the CDG-BKK flight, TG is planning an extra flight ex Paris, and I haven't heard/checked what time it will be. Originally they were saying one flight would be a 747-400.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi dsquared37 great way to get the best of both worlds esp the FCL, hope you have plenty of time.

Keep an eye on the CDG-BKK flight, TG is planning an extra flight ex Paris, and I haven't heard/checked what time it will be. Originally they were saying one flight would be a 747-400.
I will definitely be keeping tabs on this itinerary. On the date in question there are two flights scheduled 931 (at 13:40) and 933 (at 20:30), both 773, I'm on the latter. If 933 should be switched out there might not be much I can do.

With 2+ months waiting time I'm already chomping at the bit.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im especially interested in knowing the differences in service between the LX and OS flights to BKK. They both leave right before midnight. Is the dinner service abbreviated so pax can sleep? I prefer to enjoy the full service so dont like these late-night flights.
I've flown OS between VIE & BKK in J, and they do a full dinner even at the late hour. In fact, if food is a top criterion, OS is the best choice, as their J catering is as good as F on some other airlines. Their angle flat seats are a bit hard though.

LX's catering is great in F but very average in J, in both quality and quantity, so even if they do an abbreviated supper service, you won't be missing much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.