Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F dropped after F award

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott LT Tit
Synd, are you certain that level of compensation applies to a downgrade on an award (free) ticket through a different *A carrier - in my case US - and to non-EU citizens? I'd just hate to wait until check-in only to be offered no (or little) comp for a downgrade on an award ticket and then have no meaningful opportunity to switch to a route with F that could get us home that day. Thanks
Old May 14, 2010, 9:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
cobbs1,

1°) you're entitled to EU regs since it's an european airline, and you're going to FRA. If it was an US airline, leaving from the US you would not.

2°) yes no matter how you got into F (miles, $, upgd, vouchers, except surely, at least i hope so, firends and family) you'll get compensation by LH if you're downgraded into C, and they are as I stated before very very generous! print your receipts where it mention you are in F, and bring them with you. If you have one from the LH website even better.

3°) look at those two threads:
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...downgrade.html posts #5 and #15 will be interesting for you

- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...rd-flight.html (old post but the values mentionned are still applicable. The first post talks about tap, so don't worry about it but the others talks about LH compensation)

hope this helps out. if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me via pm.

synd
Old May 14, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Learn something new everyday.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott LT Tit
Does anyone know where to go on the web to find out when a change in a/c on a particular routing occurred?
Old May 29, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ps9a
I've had no luck getting US (or UA or AA for that matter) to open up inventory on other airlines... they've always been willing to rebook me for no fee into any flights with availability, but they have been unable to get partner airlines to release award inventory.

... last week I noticed that UA134 was switched from a 3-class 767 into a 757. I had redeemed US miles for an international F award, continuing to MUC, and United simply switched the 3-class SFO-ORD 767 from flight 134 to flight 972 80 minutes later. The later flight still worked for my connection, so I was hoping US could just convince United to put me on it, but no dice. (This is where it helps to have your award ticket booked with the carrier you're flying, as United has gladly opened up inventory for me on flights they've ticketed and operated in the past.) I also called the United 1K line, and the agent I spoke with put a call in to inventory management, but the response I got was that since it was a US ticket, US had to be the one to change it.
To update my previous post, I was on the phone with the 1K desk yesterday (getting the red schedule change message taken off a separate itinerary), and I happened to get a pretty friendly 1K agent, so I asked him again if there was any way to open up availability on UA972, since I was semi-downgraded from 3-class to 2-class F. I thought the chances were pretty slim, since I needed 2 seats, UA972 (3-class 767) was showing F3 A1, and the seat map was only showing 2 seats available in F for some reason. He talked to a supervisor, and told me that if I had a US agent call back to the 1K line with my itinerary, they might be able to do something.

So I called US again, got an excellent Phoenix-based agent named Jody, and was able to convince her to call the 1K line with my United MP#. (It always amazes me how good US phone agents can be, and how quickly I am usually able to get through, given I currently have and never had any status on US.) The 1K line transferred Jody 4 times, and when she finally got through, the woman we got said she'd never heard of inventory management. Jody actually conferenced me on the line with both of them (against the 1K agent's apparent protests), so I was able to explain what I wanted, after which the 1K agent still claimed that in her 15 years with United, she'd never heard of IM opening up seats for a passenger who wasn't already waitlisted. Nevertheless, she talked to a supervisor and was back in 5 minutes with the 2 seats for us-- incidentally, she claimed it was a service director and not IM that opened up the seats for us... I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I was pretty happy.

Anyway, the whole process took north of an hour, so I'm not convinced it was a valuable use of my time for a 4 hour flight that I may not use if award space opens up in F on LH459 or LX39 on the day I'm traveling. But I wanted to share that it is possible to get UA to release seats for a US ticketed award, in case anyone else is in a similar situation.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by ps9a
... I needed 2 seats, UA972 (3-class 767) was showing F3 A1, and the seat map was only showing 2 seats available in F for some reason.
There is only 2 seats left in this example and the airline is prepared to sell 1 at A class levels (restricted F class). This same seat is also offered, along with the other one in this cabin, at the full F fare.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by deconz
Originally Posted by ps9a View Post
... I needed 2 seats, UA972 (3-class 767) was showing F3 A1, and the seat map was only showing 2 seats available in F for some reason.

There is only 2 seats left in this example and the airline is prepared to sell 1 at A class levels (restricted F class). This same seat is also offered, along with the other one in this cabin, at the full F fare.
Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying United is overselling its 6-seat F-cabin on its 3-cabin 767's? That's aggressive. The flight was F3. I think 2K is blocked, so that's the issue.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cobbs1
Does anyone know where to go on the web to find out when a change in a/c on a particular routing occurred?
Go to the airline's website you had booked the trip and put in your PNR number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.