Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

General Questions About Booking/Flying Spirit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

As suggested by a member I am going to try out a general questions thread.

Thinking about booking spirit for the first time?

Unclear on a policy?

Let's use this thread to try and answer those questions!

Long Train Runnin
Spirit Airlines Mod
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well this is going well!

I'll leave this open for a few more weeks and see if it turns around.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: Nectar Card
I'm trying to modify an existing flight (with automatic Flight Flex via Gold) and towards the end of the change-flow, the website tacks on an unexpected $25 check-in fee.

In the prior screen, the only add-on option was Wifi, which I didn't select. Not quite sure if it's even possible to unselect the fee.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea how to ditch the check-in fee?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 6:52 pm

Wink Spirit Newb

Last minute trip happening and Spirit is the front runner.Few questions if anyone is able to help.
  • Which credit card programs have Spirit as a transfer parter? How long would a points transfer take to settle before being able to book flight?
  • Flight is about 2 hours...taking nothing but a carry on. Do I need to worry about tricks that will result in fees (fees for carryon, fees for looking left instead of right?)
    Flight is rather short so not as picky about the seat, and that said anything I should know about when it comes to seating?
  • Like most, there are many dependencies where if the flight gets overbooked or cancelled, the entire trip gets bagged. Track record decent for Spirit?
  • First time w/Spirit....likely worth getting on their loyalty program prior to the flight. Any status matches or perks from any particular credit cards?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by pixelrogue; Jul 2, 2023 at 7:29 am
Old Jul 3, 2023, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by pixelrogue
Last minute trip happening and Spirit is the front runner.Few questions if anyone is able to help.
  • Which credit card programs have Spirit as a transfer parter? How long would a points transfer take to settle before being able to book flight?
  • Flight is about 2 hours...taking nothing but a carry on. Do I need to worry about tricks that will result in fees (fees for carryon, fees for looking left instead of right?)
    Flight is rather short so not as picky about the seat, and that said anything I should know about when it comes to seating?
  • Like most, there are many dependencies where if the flight gets overbooked or cancelled, the entire trip gets bagged. Track record decent for Spirit?
  • First time w/Spirit....likely worth getting on their loyalty program prior to the flight. Any status matches or perks from any particular credit cards?
Thank you in advance!
Not sure what you define as a "trick," but they do have fees for carry-ons as outlined on their website. Only a personal item is free. A quick Google should show you their baggage policy (broken down by type, number, and purchase-time), and the purchase-flow should also show you prices and offer you a chance to pre-pay. Here's a third-party site which has a reasonable summary of the fees; you should do more research if you're still concerned or not satisfied.

They usually have 28" seat pitch for standard rows (3-3), a fair bit more than that for their exit row seats (3-3), and quite a bit more for their Big Front Seats (2-2). Most (if not all) seats don't recline. Again, a quick Google can show you what the seats look like and you can decide whether that's for you. Google tells me HAECO and Acro make most of their seats.

Can't really understand the third bullet point.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Well this is going well!

I'll leave this open for a few more weeks and see if it turns around.
LTR or any Spirit frequent flyer, could a booked flight still be cancelled for a full refund of either cash or pts if travel date is >60 days? Thx
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I'm trying to modify an existing flight (with automatic Flight Flex via Gold) and towards the end of the change-flow, the website tacks on an unexpected $25 check-in fee.

In the prior screen, the only add-on option was Wifi, which I didn't select. Not quite sure if it's even possible to unselect the fee.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea how to ditch the check-in fee?
call 833-728-3359 to see the fee is an error & that could be waived
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:57 am

Update - didn't go w/Spirit.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 6:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Will spirit give any compensation for a >3 hour flight delay?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Will spirit give any compensation for a >3 hour flight delay?
Compensation is usually automatic with Spirit. If your trip qualifies, they will email you a food voucher (virtual card) and Spirit voucher (which is usually nearly worthless since it only applies to base fare, can only be used once, and expires quickly). If the cause of the delay was not controllable, don't expect to receive anything
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:38 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
They emailed a $50 voucher expiring in 3 months. Not clear if it's locked to the passenger name.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
They emailed a $50 voucher expiring in 3 months. Not clear if it's locked to the passenger name.
Only the passenger to whom the voucher was issued may use it. They are intentionally very difficult to use. Full Spirit voucher details are here: https://customersupport.spirit.com/e...ticle/KA-01231
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:37 pm

How many vouchers (from a canceled flight) can you use per new booking? Would it be prudent to combine them via test-bookings (as one might for Southwest) or is that too much faff?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:53 am

How many minutes prior to departure does Spirit begin boarding?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
How many minutes prior to departure does Spirit begin boarding?
Generally 45 minutes before departure. Your boarding pass will have the boarding time for your flight on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.