Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit flight domestic disturbance and epic reaction by Captain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

I had a Spirit flight last night CLE-LAS with quite a show. One boyfriend and girlfriend didn't pay for seating assigments, and were late to checkin to the full flight. GF was given an exit row seat and the BF was assigned to row4. The BF self-upgraded to the exit row seat next to her, meaning there would be a slight issue when the paid owner of that exit row seat boarded the flight a few minutes later....

The FAs kept giving the BF the option of moving to row 4 or not flying. The GF keeps screaming at the BF at this point. After refusing to answer the FA, then refusing to answer the entire flight crew, the BF storms to the front insisting they disarm and open the doors to let him deplane. The rightful owner of the exit row seat declines to take the seat next to the crazy girl back there, and settles into row4.

It gets better...the BF then tells the gate agent he needs his bag back from above his seat. FA goes to retrieve the bag and is yelled at by the GF who won't give up the bag. Because they have both their stuff in the ONE carry-on. The captain is stunned at the whole show & resulting custody battle of the bag. Fortunately after a bit more time the GF decides she will walk off the flight too. We can hear them screaming at each other as the FAs hurry up and re-close the doors for our safety.

JUST when we are about to begin our 2nd pushback, a passenger walks up and hands the FA the crazy GF's purse and cell phone which she left at her seat. Crew calls the captain who smiles saying "I'll handle it." He shows the gate agent and GF her purse by waving it thru the windows to indicate she left it. Everyone on the plane groans, knowing the show isn't over because the door will need reopened. NOPE: The captain amazes us all by locking it in the cockpit and saying clear for pushback. EPIC. Crazy lady now will have to wait at least 24hrs for her purse and ID. ENTIRE plane starts clapping. Flight attendant comes on the PA system saying "we hope you all enjoyed this Jerry Springer episode."

Who says that 'penny base fare + taxes/fees' ULCC flights with 28" seat pitch don't include entertainment?

Last edited by expert7700; May 15, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Absolutely epic.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Isn't it a bit of a security risk to keep the purse on the plane?

I walk on a plane, leave a package, and walk off.

Hmmmmm
Old May 16, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Hmmmmm
I must say that I agree, but at the same time, laugh at the whole thing. The couple should just be happy to make the flight, no need to "sit together" he could have asked the passenger to swap seats, instead created about 30 minute delay, which resulted in GF leaving her purse with ID in plane, this is certainly going to delay their travels. Hopefully BF has some cash on him, as this cheap flight became rather costly.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For all anyone knows, the purse contains some meds that she needs, although it was her responsibility not to leave her belongings behind on board......
Old May 16, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Hmmmmm
You could just as easily take a flight and leave something behind.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You could just as easily take a flight and leave something behind.
Then the groomers find it and return it.

I've been in the lounge for 5 minutes before getting a page telling me I left something on the flight.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:39 pm

I bet that was exciting to see, more interesting then some boring safety demo
Old May 17, 2017, 7:43 am
HMO

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For all anyone knows, the purse contains some meds that she needs
Probably the red pills...
Originally Posted by expert7700
[...]The GF keeps screaming at the BF at this point.[...]
[...]The rightful owner of the exit row seat declines to take the seat next to the crazy girl back there, and settles into row4.[...]
[...]a passenger walks up and hands the FA the crazy GF's purse and cell phone which she left at her seat.[...]
Old May 17, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Where's the link to the viral video????!!!!!

A BF/GF or even husband/wife should be able to survive a 4hr flight sitting apart. Looks like they needed the break anyways.

I agree, the captain should have returned the purse.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:45 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Originally Posted by eng3
Where's the link to the viral video????!!!!!

A BF/GF or even husband/wife should be able to survive a 4hr flight sitting apart. Looks like they needed the break anyways.

I agree, the captain should have returned the purse.
For all we don't know, the pilot could have opened the cockpit window and pass it through to the ramp agent. The couple deserve what they get.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kkua
For all we don't know, the pilot could have opened the cockpit window and pass it through to the ramp agent. The couple deserve what they get.
Those types of (potential air pressure leak) windows still are in service?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Nothing like a Vegas trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.