New "Crime in Barcelona" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Crime in Barcelona" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:40 am
In memoriam

Saying something is not a problem over and over again does not make the problem disappear.

I was in Barcelona for several days recently, observed several muggings and car break-ins taking place in that short time, and was the almost victim of an attempted pickpocketing myself (in the historic center).

Crime in Barcelona is much worse than in any other Western European or North American city I have been to. Unless something is done to correct this the golden tourist goose is going to be in bad shape.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Sorry, but no. You're either (a) imagining things, (b) making things up, or (c) the unluckiest person ever to visit the city.

Repeating your "several days" anecdotal experience of "almost" being the victim of a crime over and over again does not change the reality, especially of those who have lived in the city and walked those same streets ever and over for years.

But stay away if you think it's better for you.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:20 pm
In memoriam

Better yet, let the Barcelona "patriots" who are attempting to belittle the very serious crime crime problems of that lovely city put some energy into getting the problem moved towards resolution instead of pretending it doesn't exist.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Amazing, really, the number of posts on this thread that attempt to downplay or ridicule those discussing the very serious issue of crime in Barcelona.

I was there.

I'm not going back to be a victim of the out of control street crime.
you already told us anything new to add?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:09 pm

I agree that crime in Barcelona is out of control. Not murder or gun crimes, but the type of petty crime that degrades the quality of life.

Purse snatchings, pickpocketings, strongarm mugging, and cameras and handbags stolen from tourists.

Part of the problem is that police and local governments are under pressure to keep crime statistics low. If they make it difficult enough to report a crime, and make the likelihood of a criminal being caught and punished near enough to zero, most people won't bother to report when they have been pickpocketed, mugged, or slashed with a knife. Thus the true crime rate is perhaps 20 to 30 times as high as the officially reported crime rate.

Another reason for this problem is Spain's (and Europe's) overall lower quality of life than North America. I don't have to worry about someone pulling a knife and demanding my watch or ring in Canada, because these items have zero resale value here. No one wants to buy anybody else's stolen jewelry, electronics etc. In contrast the Europeans, scraping by on their meager incomes in their humble tenements, present a large market for black market stolen goods. This gives incentive for the criminals to continue their criminality.

If enough people refuse to visit countries like this, perhaps they will crack down on their crime problem.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
If enough people refuse to visit countries like this, perhaps they will crack down on their crime problem.
and if enough people refuse to visit the US, perhaps they will crack down their immigration problem and not treat tourists like criminals on arrival ... but that's another story.

this thread is going OMNI ... keep them coming.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:03 am

Another reason for this problem is Spain's (and Europe's) overall lower quality of life than North America.

I guess we should define "quality of life"... but better stop here before we go OMNI... (Thanks for the warning chrissxb )
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:19 pm
Suspended

I agree that crime in Barcelona is out of control. Not murder or gun crimes, but the type of petty crime that degrades the quality of life.

Purse snatchings, pickpocketings, strongarm mugging, and cameras and handbags stolen from tourists.

Part of the problem is that police and local governments are under pressure to keep crime statistics low. If they make it difficult enough to report a crime, and make the likelihood of a criminal being caught and punished near enough to zero, most people won't bother to report when they have been pickpocketed, mugged, or slashed with a knife. Thus the true crime rate is perhaps 20 to 30 times as high as the officially reported crime rate.

Another reason for this problem is Spain's (and Europe's) overall lower quality of life than North America. I don't have to worry about someone pulling a knife and demanding my watch or ring in Canada, because these items have zero resale value here. No one wants to buy anybody else's stolen jewelry, electronics etc. In contrast the Europeans, scraping by on their meager incomes in their humble tenements, present a large market for black market stolen goods. This gives incentive for the criminals to continue their criminality.

There is nothing in this post that is even diverges in the slightest from most zenophobic nonsense I have seem posted on Ftalk in all the time I have been here.

Even the most rabid OMNI adherent would be repelled by this

mike
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
There is nothing in this post that is even diverges in the slightest from most zenophobic nonsense I have seem posted on Ftalk in all the time I have been here.

mike
I figured out it was a troll post/joke somewhere near the "lower quality of life" nonsense.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:04 am
In memoriam

zenophobic nonsense
mike
Did you mean "xenophobic"?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:25 am

mike
I am just puzzled, which do you consider it nonsense to point out that a city has a high rate of "nuisance/quality of life destroying" petty crime"?

Or do you consider it xenophobic to point out that some countries artificially lower their crime rate by making it difficult or pointless to report crimes to the authorities?

Maybe you consider it nonsense to point out that a high rate of property crime is driven by the willingness of a large part of the population to purchase stolen goods?

I had a fine time on my trips to Spain, and one of the things that made them most enjoyable was interacting with the Spanish people. I am not xenophobic, I am just a realist. I look forward to a return visit to Spain once they have done something about their crime situation.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, etc.
I haven't posted here in a long time; actually since I was chastised for starting this thread. I know many a local in Barcelona who denies the crime problem. To some extent, this may have a bit to do with the locals staying away from the typical tourist areas which, granted, are for everyone; but locals often prefer to sidestep Las Ramblas, for example, to avoid the crowds.

I must agree with trilinearmipmap regarding the statistics. It IS difficult to report thefts; I've tried it myself many times, sometimes on the behalf of other victims, with varying degrees of success.

That said, Barcelona police actually admit to a pretty horrendous number. "115,055 pickpocketings and bagsnatches in Barcelona were reported in the 12 months ending August 2009, police said." Before you extrapolate that to 300 thefts per day, you should understand why that would be a huge underestimate.

I have written extensively about published crime rates in Barcelona and how they are seriously below reality. The moderator here does not like me posting links, but this is pertinent to the discussion here, and perhaps better than quoting my whole argument. If interested, it is here:
http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2009...ocket-problem/
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:10 pm

What I'm wondering is when the Barcelona police will admit to the terrible problem we have with blogwhoring on FT.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

posting the same blog-link twice doesn't make it better. thread now closed.

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.