Wiki Posts
Search

9-10 days in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
9-10 days in Spain

I'm planning on taking my two younger sisters, ages 14 and 11, to Europe in late March. We're going to fly into Paris and spend 3 days, and then move into Spain for another 9 or 10 days. I'm not sure whether to take the train for the entire trip, or if we should take the train to Spain and then rent a car. I've only ever been to Madrid (which was a short visit--admittedly I don't have a great handle on the city), so my travel knowledge of the rest of Spain is essentially zero. I'm hoping that some of your suggestions will help me decide what cities/regions to visit and therefore whether a car is necessary.

We're definitely set on visiting Madrid, and will most likely be flying out of Madrid, although this could be changed. Other cities that I've considered include Barcelona, Valencia, Granada and San Sebastien. While I don't want to spend the entire trip bouncing from place to place, we'd like to do at least 3 cities, as my sisters are not big museum or city people in general. We're doing the museum thing in Paris and Madrid, and would like to spend the rest of the trip seeing more of Spain. We'd enjoy having a car and driving a couple of hours per day, and spending a few hours in smaller places to feel the country.

When it comes to regions of Spain that would be worth renting a car and seeing at a more self-directed pace, I'm more or less at a loss.

Let me know what you think.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to visit more than 1-2 regions (communidades autonomas), renting a car is a bad idea, because Spain is a large country.

Personally, in addition to visiting Madrid, I would fly to GRX (the plane is cheap and there is no direct high-speed train to Granada), drive to Cordoba then Sevilla and then through Ronda to Malaga, out of where you can fly to BCN and stay there for another couple of days.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can get to Valencia before the 19th March I'd strongly suggest you go there for the Fallas (fire) festival. It is unlikely your sisters will ever forget it.

If you're too late for this you might be able to get to Toledo for their uniquely early Easter celebrations (17-23 March).

"End of March" is a bit vague. If your visit coincides with Easter (I think this is the 5th to 12th April this year) then my suggestion is Murcia which has some of the loveliest, and to my mind, accessible Easter celebrations in the country (others, like those in Seville, are more celebrated, but their sheer scale can leave a lot of visitors feeling sidelined in the margins)
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:18 pm

Granada, Seville and Cordoba are wonderful cities definitely worth visiting.

Or you could visit Barcelona which has loads going on and things to see, and even pop over to Mallorca to visit the seaside .... though the sea probably won't be warm enough to swim in yet!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:59 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Barcelona is on the seaside. At least a day or two to see the bonkers architecture in our city..

I recommend Granada, where you can base yourself and drive into some great countryside, just remember that the middle of the day is siesta in the country, and everything closes for hours.

You don't mention your exit airport.. but have a look at the following, for connections from Paris and around Spain: http://www.vueling.com http://www.clickair.com
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I wouldn't take the train from Paris to Spain, it is a long trip, 12 hours to Barcelona, 14 to Madrid and overnight.

There are frequent flights from Paris to Spain, both regular and also many lowcost options. Clickair, Vueling already mentioned, easyjet, ryanair (although does not flight to secondary airports far from the cities), spanair, air europa, air france... I guess driving from Paris to Barcelona is out of question, it takes 10 hours non-stop, and there are some nice regions in the way where you could stay overnight, but could be tiring for your kids. I've done Barcelona - Paris many times by car and I enjoy the trip.

Once in Spain, there are so many areas and cities to explore. You'll have to choose, I have an inclination for Barcelona, but I am local and biased.

Madrid and Barcelona are now well communicated by train, 2h40 trip, which could be an option if you want to visit both cities and want to avoid airports. Train also works very well from Madrid to Sevilla in the South.

As per renting a car, distances are long between big cities and that means you might need to spend more than 2-3 hours in the car to reach the next destination. If you take that option, plan carefully your itinerary: to give you an example, there is not much to see, or I would say, interesting places to stay overnight between Madrid and Zaragoza, or Madrid and Cordoba.

An option would be to explore the area from a base city: from Madrid, there are plenty of interesting sites within 1.5 hours, so you could go back and forth for the day. Same applies to Barcelona, where you can reach small villages in Girona or go south, or to the pyrenees. Sevilla also is a good base. There are many smaller towns just 1-1.5 hours from big cities like barcelona or madrid. Just make sure you don't get trapped in traffic jams when leaving the city or returning in peak hours.

Another area you might consider is the Basque country, Bilbao and San Sebastián. If you are into wine, you could visit some wineries from Rioja while you are there. Also around Barcelona, you can visit very nice Cava wineries (sparkling wine), it is a nice attraction.

Last edited by josep; Mar 1, 2009 at 7:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Madrid has a street fair every Sunday at which tons of wonderfully different casual clothing are sold. I'd think those girls might enjoy picking up some things for their wardrobes there.

http://www.madridinfosite.com/en/sho...ea-market.aspx

In fact, you could challenge them to start with maybe a 1/2-full suitcase, and get the remainer of their travel clothes at places like this?

I'd assume the other cities also have these, just not aware of specifics.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.