Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona neighborhood recommentions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Barcelona neighborhood recommentions?

I was wondering if anyone had some hotel recommendations for Barcelona? Comfortable and quiet would be my preferences. Convenience to whatever needs to be seen and enjoyed would be great!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:49 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Am afraid to report that virtually nowhere in the city is "quiet".
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mphall
I was wondering if anyone had some hotel recommendations for Barcelona? Comfortable and quiet would be my preferences. Convenience to whatever needs to be seen and enjoyed would be great!
We stayed in the Gracia neighborhood at the Aparthotel Mariano Cubi. Sort of a residential area - at least near the hotel - a few blocks walk to the metro. It was relatively quiet and the hotel was a bargain for the price.

Depending upon your physical condition, you could walk to most places from there if you wanted some exercise.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we love to walk but I have had my share of lumpy beds and no A/C in my time. I was hoping for comfortable and quiet.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mphall
Yes, we love to walk but I have had my share of lumpy beds and no A/C in my time. I was hoping for comfortable and quiet.
You asked for a neighborhood, I suggested one. Stay in whatever hotel you want. (FWIW, the beds were fine and the temperature was comfortable.)
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
I recently stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal on Paral-lel in El Raval. I had an excellent experience at the hotel; used Hotwire to get a very good deal, the Metro is literally about 5 steps from the main door, quite a few sights within a 10 minute walk, and the hotel was very comfortable and accomodating. Not particularly quiet though, although that is a very subjective term.

Tripadvisor's hotel ratings and reviews might be a good place to start.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:43 pm
Used to be 'where2next'

Programs: MR Platinum
Barcelona

Enjoy your stay in Barcelona. My daughter lives south of there so we don't stay in a hotel when we visit but other friends have recommended the Sofitel. I agree that few places are quiet, but I would suggest you avoid "Barcelonetta" neighborhood as it is quaint, but off the beaten track. If you stayed near the "Ramblas" you would be right in the heart of the beauty and fairly near the metro. The "Gothic" area is really busy at night.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Duquesa de Cardona

We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Duquesa de Cardona (Duquesa de Cardona, Passeig Colom 12, Barcelona - Web site: www.eh-reservations.com). In retrospect it was an excellent choice - try to reserve a harbor view room. It is well located and central to all the major attractions - many within walking distance including some very nice restaurants. You might want to go to Google Earth and plug in the address to get an idea where the property is specifically located in relation to the city. We loved it!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I would have to agree with GK---Barcelona is not know for being a quiet city. People like to party there! It reminded me of Rio or New Orleans. great shopping though.

Make sure there is not a football game when you are there--then it REALLY gets out of hand.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

My husband wishes to soak up the architecture but I can get crabby if I don't have a suitable bed at night. As a Princess in the Pea, I must have my beauty sleep. So hence, a quiet hotel, near a Metro or bus stop.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:16 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
As well as being noisy, the city is very well covered with public transport.. so most places are 'near' a metro or bus or train. http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/home.jsp
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
FYI, most of the locations mentioned by others - Ramblas, which sits between the Raval and the Gothic Quarter, Passeig de Colom - are the noisiest, most tourist-filled, and most heavily traffic of the entire city. They're also the highest crime areas of the city (no violent crime, just petty stuff). I would def. avoid them.

Gracia is a great neighborhood, but they don't have many hotels of any kind as it's mostly residential.

Probably best bet is l'Eixample, above Plaa Catalunya. Something like the NH Calderon is a good combination of location and nice hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.