Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona hotel recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Barcelona hotel recommendation?

I will be spending a couple of days in Barcelona at the end of November. Any recommendations on a decent, inexpensive hotel that is convenient to BCN airport and to where ever cruise ships depart Barcelona would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and to the cruise ship, and general travel around town without a rental car, would help.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you class as "inexpensive"? I've stayed at the AC Vilamari for EUR80 and it was great for the price...Cheap direct bus from the airport (IIRC number 41).
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
what do you class as "inexpensive"? I've stayed at the AC Vilamari for EUR80 and it was great for the price...Cheap direct bus from the airport (IIRC number 41).
I saw a few hotels listed on Tripadvisor that were bookable for ~ $60US per night that had decent reviews. I am amazed that they could be this cheap. Is it easy to get around the city without a car?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmorgan3
Is it easy to get around the city without a car?
Oh yes. I don't drive at all. If the hotel you're interested has a metro stop nearby then it's easy to get to - there are even bus routes that run all night.

It's been years now since I stayed in a Barcelona hotel and my last few stays have been in rented apartments, so I've no meaningful recs for you.

If you post the hotels you like the look of, we can certainly give you the pros & cons of their locations.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
stayed at the renaissance airport hotel, have free shuttle from a/p to hotel and a 10 euro per person charge to passenger pier. while not near city center free shuttle to and from city center, hotel was nice, got a price deal from marriott
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
A friend was on a cruise and wanted to get into Barcelona. We looked up maps of the city. Found the dock where the cruise ship would stop, and a map on which we could figure distances to points of interest - Gaudi buildings were on the list. I remember we decided it was quite walkable for two seniors in good shape.

Obviously, getting from the airport is a different equation, and I've not done BCN, but European public transportation is generally so much better than ours, that I've gotten quite casual about arrivals/departures, figuring the locals have ways and I will follow them and/or ask.

This looks like it might answer lots of your questions:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c....html#transfer

Romelle
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the Bacelona link. I was wondering where the cruise terminals were.

Originally Posted by Romelle
A friend was on a cruise and wanted to get into Barcelona. We looked up maps of the city. Found the dock where the cruise ship would stop, and a map on which we could figure distances to points of interest - Gaudi buildings were on the list. I remember we decided it was quite walkable for two seniors in good shape.

Obviously, getting from the airport is a different equation, and I've not done BCN, but European public transportation is generally so much better than ours, that I've gotten quite casual about arrivals/departures, figuring the locals have ways and I will follow them and/or ask.

This looks like it might answer lots of your questions:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c....html#transfer

Romelle
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:35 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
taxi. metro. bus. tram. walk. train... all possible in our fair city. just don't stay out at the airport, stay in town, go out late and enjoy it.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:16 am

las ramblas or placa catalunya?

Which location is best for a 2 day post cruise first time visitor? Want a central location but not interested in a lot of noise. Any ideas under $200?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mudley
Which location is best for a 2 day post cruise first time visitor? Want a central location but not interested in a lot of noise.
La Rambla and Plaça Catalunya are the same location for me. (Plaça Catalunya is at the top of La Rambla…) If you want to avoid noise stay away from both of them.

Do you have a problem with traffic, loud people, or both? I think staying somewhere a few blocks from Plaça Catalunya in the Eixample (the area with the square city blocks) could give you some rest if you stay away from the main streets.
On the other end, the narrow streets around La Rambla have generally no traffic, but are not exactly “quiet” (especially during the weekends)…
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by mudley
Which location is best for a 2 day post cruise first time visitor? Want a central location but not interested in a lot of noise. Any ideas under $200?
Las Ramblas is a very active, urban street entertainment scene. Or, put another way, it's loud.

The area of Eixample further north, near the University, was noisy on the weekends; we were only there in the summer, so I don't know what it's like during the school year. Further south, the streets appeared -- shall I say - less friendly to tourists.

Barcelona isn't a large downtown -- and the Metro makes it easy to get around. Stay a little further away from Las Ramblas, and enjoy the city; we would go back in a minute!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Any recs on which of the two Hiltons to stay at? Need to get to the cruise port on Monday but want to be able to see the city since we fly in a couple of days early. I'm using points for the stay so the Hilton family chain is my only option.

Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona
Passeig del Taulat 262-264
Barcelona, Spain, 08019
34-93-507-0707
2.14 miles from city center

Hilton Barcelona hotel
Avda Diagonal, 589-591
Barcelona, Spain, 08014
34-93-4957777
2.67 miles from city center
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Any recs on which of the two Hiltons to stay at?
This has already been discussed (several times) on the Hilton forum; a search there could be helpfull.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi all, I will also post a question - this time on the merits of BCN v city hotels.
We arrive before 10PM and fly out next morning.

Which airport hotels do you recommend?

[Also keen to meet anyone nearby if you're around! Would be great...]

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Hi all, I will also post a question - this time on the merits of BCN v city hotels.
We arrive before 10PM and fly out next morning.

Which airport hotels do you recommend?

[Also keen to meet anyone nearby if you're around! Would be great...]

Thanks.
I can not help with the choice of hotel, but the general advice is always : don’t stay at BCN, go into the city. (Anyway, there are no hotels in the airport. You’ll have to take a shuttle in any case.)
Unless you really don’t want to leave the hotel room and you have a really early flight, I would consider taking a taxi into town. If you look for a hotel in the area around Plaza España you will need only a 10-15 min. taxi ride to get to the airport in the morning. (It will cost you maximum around 20€, probably less.)
Alternatively, the Aerobus from / to the airport also stops at Plaza España (first stop from the airport).

Even if you have only a few hours, it’s worth it. You can easily find a place to eat even after 10pm (normal diner time in Spain).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.