Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by modthispny
this would be in done in mad right?
I'm not sure that I understand the question... Where else would this be done? You were asking about connecting in MAD, correct?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Koby
I'm not sure that I understand the question... Where else would this be done? You were asking about connecting in MAD, correct?
yes, sorry.

thanks for the help
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:54 am

connections

Hello,

I have been looking for flights 1 way after a TA cruise in May 2015 Orbiz had a good deal of $717.00 compared to what prices were out there. There is a 24 hr cancelation period, so I want to make sure I made a good decision.Thanks in advance for your help. British Airlines departing LHR Sunday morning 6:20am arriving MAD at 9:40am terminal 4.(on my ticket it says 4s, but upon research I believe it is 4) Change airlines to Iberia terminal 4s at 11:40am to ORD. This will be a 2 hour layover. From my print out from Orbitz it is 1 ticket # per passenger. I believe my bags go through to Chicago, but :
1 Besides passport control will we need to check in at Iberian Airlines and go through security again
2 Is there enough time in between flights(I have to be to work on Monday)
3 Should I cancel because I am far out and there could be deals down the pipe.

Terri
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
OK

So first, it's British Airways and Iberia Airlines. Little things but it can be annoying to those who are used to it.

Now, that particular LHR-MAD flight is operated by British Airways and will indeed have a gate in T4S. The flight to ORD will also leave from T4S so you will have no change of terminal. You will remain in transit, so you don't actually have to cross the border but will have to go through security again in T4S. With one ticket number, you are protected in case of missed connections and that is more than enough time (I believe minimum connection time is 50 minutes for same terminal). There is even another BA flight that will just barely get you to make the connection if something happens with the first one.

So answers to your questions are:

1. No
2. Yes
3. That's a personal question and only you can tell if you got value out of your ticket.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
OK

So first, it's British Airways and Iberia Airlines. Little things but it can be annoying to those who are used to it.

Now, that particular LHR-MAD flight is operated by British Airways and will indeed have a gate in T4S. The flight to ORD will also leave from T4S so you will have no change of terminal. You will remain in transit, so you don't actually have to cross the border but will have to go through security again in T4S. With one ticket number, you are protected in case of missed connections and that is more than enough time (I believe minimum connection time is 50 minutes for same terminal). There is even another BA flight that will just barely get you to make the connection if something happens with the first one.

So answers to your questions are:

1. No
2. Yes
3. That's a personal question and only you can tell if you got value out of your ticket.
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease.
Terri
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by modthispny
Reason i say this is because our Vueling flight only includes checked baggage, and even if we were to buy the tickets that allow carry on bags, we would exceed the weight limit.
Are you sure you have this the right way around? (Or do you really mean 'only'?)

The cheapest vueling fares when purchased from vueling will NOT include checked in hold bags at all, ONLY carry on 'cabin' bags.

Carry on bags are limited to sensible sizes 55x40x20 cm, and on the cheap fares 10kg max weight.
On more expensive fares it is 14kg max weight for carry on bags (this is sensible - the overhead bins on aircraft do have a maximum rating), and they will still be subject to the size restriction.

If you have a vueling ticket that has a checked in hold bag allowance added to it, you still keep your carry on allowance.

I'm going to assume you have gone for checked in hold bags with Vueling, and the 'only' in your post above was just accidental phrasing.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by David-A
Are you sure you have this the right way around? (Or do you really mean 'only'?)

The cheapest vueling fares when purchased from vueling will NOT include checked in hold bags at all, ONLY carry on 'cabin' bags.

Carry on bags are limited to sensible sizes 55x40x20 cm, and on the cheap fares 10kg max weight.
On more expensive fares it is 14kg max weight for carry on bags (this is sensible - the overhead bins on aircraft do have a maximum rating), and they will still be subject to the size restriction.

If you have a vueling ticket that has a checked in hold bag allowance added to it, you still keep your carry on allowance.

I'm going to assume you have gone for checked in hold bags with Vueling, and the 'only' in your post above was just accidental phrasing.
yes sorry, we have the more expensive ticket option so it includes check in bag + carry on 10kg weight limit. i will have a backpack with me as well that i will carry on the vueling flight.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:49 am

Another Madrid transfer question. It's our return leg to the UK and we arrive at T1 on Ryan Air at 08.45 we depart for LHR at 10.50 from T4s on BA metal. We will have hand luggage only and will have our BA Boarding Passes.

Is this doable, easily? Is there an airside transfer to T4s, I can see on the airport map but can't see anyone saying they have used. Or are we better heading out to the landslide bus to T4.

Assistance appreciated
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:04 am

Doablewithout hold luggage, but very tight. You will almost definitely be better with the landside transfer bus.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:27 am

Hello,

This is my first transit flight and I'm a bit worried because I only have 1:15h for transit on an airpoirt I dont know. So I want to get as much as possible information beforehand. Maybe you can help me out.

my flight is
MUC-MAD-SJO all with IB

arrival in MAD T4S
Saturday 04.10.2014 10:25h

departure in MAD T4S
Saturday 04.10.2014 11:40

Is it just that easy that I leave the 1st plane, have a quick look at the panel where my departure gate is and go "300m" to the next gate (as all is in same terminal) and check in for next flight? And so 1:15h is more than enough time. Or is there something in between I have to do?

I guess i dont have to take care about baggage or passport checks because I dont leave the terminal. On the other side I leave schengen.

thanks for any advice
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:44 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by klaus79
my flight is
MUC-MAD-SJO all with IB

arrival in MAD T4S
Saturday 04.10.2014 10:25h

departure in MAD T4S
Saturday 04.10.2014 11:40

Is it just that easy that I leave the 1st plane, have a quick look at the panel where my departure gate is and go "300m" to the next gate (as all is in same terminal) and check in for next flight? And so 1:15h is more than enough time. Or is there something in between I have to do?

I guess i dont have to take care about baggage or passport checks because I dont leave the terminal. On the other side I leave schengen.
Usually Schengen flights (MUC-MAD) arrive at Terminal 4, but if your flight is listed as arriving at T4S, then it's arriving at the "M" gates... You would have to go through passport control as you are departing the Schengen area, but the connection should be pretty quick anyway with no terminal change (and you'll probably already have the boarding pass for the second flight). Iberia estimates it at 15 minutes...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:37 am

Need help please terminal 4 and 4s madrid

Hello all

I want to book a flight for my husband from Dakar to Ireland but he will need to transit through Spain Madrid between terminal 4 and 4s he holds an Irish spouse visa. Does he need a transit visa?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Rama2
Hello all

I want to book a flight for my husband from Dakar to Ireland but he will need to transit through Spain Madrid between terminal 4 and 4s he holds an Irish spouse visa. Does he need a transit visa?
If he would need a transit visa anyway that will definitely need to happen. The Ireland flights are weird because normally you enter Schengen and go back out again at the end of T4. I believe they have buses that allow you to board directly from T4S so you can legally stay in the transit area the entire time. Honestly, I never really paid attention and just assumed all the LHR flights from T4S were the BA or long haul configuration flights. I haven't been through T4S since Dublin went back in this year and obviously not since BA now flies to T4.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:56 am

Hello,

I have booked a flight with BA from London to San Jose (Costa Rica) that connects via Madrid. The first flight is BA and connection is with Iberia. Both flights arrive and depart from terminal 4S. I have only just noticed that the connection time is only 55 minutes! I arrive in Madrid at 10.50 and the connection departs at 11.45. Is this enough time? Surely British Airways wouldn't sell the ticket if there wasn't enough time but having never connected at Madrid before I am a little concerned that this will be too tight for me and my baggage. There is another BA flight that leaves an hour earlier so was wondering if I should request a transfer to that flight instead? Not sure they will let me though....
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:36 am

I believe BA arrives in T4 now. 55 minutes is very doable but, like all connections like that, can be significantly tighter with delays. I believe they have a bus that can take you directly from the plane to T4S though by disembarking via the rear door. I'm not terribly sure about this because I'm based at MAD, but it seems to be a requirement for doing non-Schengen transit passengers as the T4 non-Schengen area requires entry into Schengen to get back to the rest of the international flights. (It sounds complicated, but it's actually rather simple and makes sense when you see it)

Basically my advice would be based on how much risk you are willing to take on about spending a night in Madrid. Personally I would probably go for an earlier flight because a half hour delay on taxi out of LHR could really screw up a lot. If you want to reschedule, be sure to note that now uses T4 and the minimum connection time from T4 to T4S is 65 minutes meaning they should change you for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.