Barcelona ideally located hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona ideally located hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2004, 3:43 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
paging alanw...

Perhaps alanw and the other BCN resident experts can help.

Im looking for a modern, trendy, Ian Schrager-ish type hotel in Barcelona. I will be staying 3 nights. Im flexible with budget, a quality hotel with amenities and superior service is what I want. Im assuming that there must be a couple of boutique new (or renovated) hotels in town...

Doing some research, Ive come up with this list, but Im not sure its very reliable. The listed properties are:

Claris Hotel
Gallery Hotel
Hotel Arts

Im of course open to other suggestions....

Many thanks!! ^
Old May 17, 2004, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Of course I'm happy to help Gaucho.

The Arts is pretty fabulous, in a soulless, ultra-modern way. The location isn't the best though (it's out by the port, kind of away from the center).

My favorite hotel in BCN, and the one I stayed in the most before I lived here, is the NH Calderon. It's got that sleek, modern Spanish style thing down pat. Very good service, interesting rooms with hardwood floors and huge marble bathrooms, great views, and a rooftop pool with a bar that is fantastic. It's one of the tallest buildings in the area. It's located right on Rbla. de Catalunya (not La Rambla), about 3 blocks' walk from Plaza Catalunya, La Rambla, etc. Not cheap, but not much here is.

The Claris also has a good location in the center. I don't know much about it, but the reputation among the locals is second to none.

One more bit of advice...avoid the Hilton. Dreary, in the middle of nowhere, and indifferent service.
Old May 18, 2004, 6:39 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by alanw
Of course I'm happy to help Gaucho.

The Arts is pretty fabulous, in a soulless, ultra-modern way. The location isn't the best though (it's out by the port, kind of away from the center).

My favorite hotel in BCN, and the one I stayed in the most before I lived here, is the NH Calderon. It's got that sleek, modern Spanish style thing down pat. Very good service, interesting rooms with hardwood floors and huge marble bathrooms, great views, and a rooftop pool with a bar that is fantastic. It's one of the tallest buildings in the area. It's located right on Rbla. de Catalunya (not La Rambla), about 3 blocks' walk from Plaza Catalunya, La Rambla, etc. Not cheap, but not much here is.

The Claris also has a good location in the center. I don't know much about it, but the reputation among the locals is second to none.

One more bit of advice...avoid the Hilton. Dreary, in the middle of nowhere, and indifferent service.
Alan--- thanks a million. It seems I must pick from the Arts and your favorite NH Calderon. Your point about the not so good location of the Arts is something to keep in mind.... however, a local friend tells me that this area has a lot of places to go out and party.... is she perhaps mistaking the area or is it that these places of leisure are just for the wrong type of crowd?

Im going to see if I can book the NH Calderon online... the great bar and pool that you mention are a great plus. The Arts seems to have a good pool also, that plus the Ritz name was tempting me.... but I will go with local hands-on advice over what a web site will tell me. If you have any tips for booking the NH Calderon, these would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old May 18, 2004, 6:56 am

Exclamation

OK... Im getting Euros 204 for the NH Calderon..... but the website booking is not throwing me much options..... so I have no idea what sort of a room I will get.

The Arts give me complete options, rates start at Euros 280, although it seems like the cool rooms are with Water View, and are to be had starting at Euros 355.

Also, the NH Calderon website does not look very appetizing, but, as Ive said, I value your first hand experience more than a website. The Calderon's location is much better, correct?

Thanks again... ^
Old May 22, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Sorry Gaucho, I forgot to come back and check this.

The area near the Arts does indeed have "lots of places to go out". It's kind of a local joke. There is a mall (MareMagnum, called MareMierda by locals) with maybe 25 discos lined up next to each other that are indistiguishable one from another. Good place to pick up a prostitute or drunk English girl. Nobody but the employees and a few preditor types will be locals though. It's basically a zone that was built to entertain the foreigners during the Olympics and still serves that purpose today - tapa bars with English menus that serve buffalo wings and fried mozzarella sticks, that sort of thing.

The Calderon web site is not the most impressive, and I don't want to give you the impression that the hotel is in the league of the Arts - it isn't. It is very, very nice, however, and I find it very comfortable for a 4-star. It has what is, IMO, the best location in BCN. You're probably better off to just call them and ask about rooms. As I recall, the corners are quite big but don't have a balcony. I haven't seen the suites. Expedia.com actually has a lot of nice photos. The Claris is in the league of the Arts and its location is fairly close to the Calderon.

Bottom line is I would advise to steer clear of the port and pick one here in the city.
Old May 22, 2004, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Avoid places wth English Menus - they're tourist traps

Originally Posted by alanw
.........tapa bars with English menus that serve buffalo wings and fried mozzarella sticks, that sort of thing.......
The general tip for eating in Europe apprars to be "avoid places that have english menus". In general, most places employ people who have enough english to help you with your Spanish/German/Italian/Whatever else. One of the best places stumbled upon in Barcelona had a strictly spanish menu (including some fine black pudding) and a Tunisian guy who spoke more languages than I thought humanly possible (who gave me a couple of good spanish language tips )!

Regards
I (now planning second trip to Barca)
Old May 23, 2004, 3:05 am

Thanks Alan and Internaut. Considering my somewhat command of Spanish, I usually dont need the English menus....

Understood regarding the location of the Arts. The drunk English girls and prostitutes (are you saying these are one and the same ) indeed sound like a huge turnoff. In any event, Im taken in Barcelona so Im not looking for company... Thanks again for the tips, I will figure something out and book later today.

Cheers,
Gaucho
Old May 25, 2004, 4:38 am

Exclamation

Guys, Ive started a new thread specific to the Arts Hotel in Barcelona.... if someone has some stuff to add it would be greatly appreciated!!! ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...wpost&t=324031

Thanks,
Gaucho
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
claris vs calderon

have a night in barcelona next week, the calderon is available for eur 204, special deal on at the claris for eur 175.

should I be all over that rate at the claris like a cheap suit ?

tia
Stewie
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
bumping to ask the same question !

Well, here we are nearly a year later. And I have the same question to ask again:

Have a night in Barcelona next week: choice of NH Calderon for €110 or Claris for €135 (interestingly, both quite a bit less than last year) - which to choose ?

tia
Stewie

PS for completeness, last time round I ended up staying at the Ritz (the old style one in the middle of town) for €300 - NOT my choice ! And also stayed at La Florida earlier this year - very nice but too far out of town.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Apparently a new Hilton is opening in the Diagonal Mar area, and since they are offering cheap (relatively) opening rates of Eur 139 incl breakfasst + as a HHG I'll get an upgrade + they have an Executive floor + I can use my HH points for my second night + its 'brand spanking new' (& I do really love new modern Hotels )--the fact that it appears very far from the center of town is of less concern to me. What I'm asking is, am I really crazy for valuing the above over being nearer to Las Ramblas? I'm traveling solo to BCN in mid Oct & will only be there for 2 nights. I have no problem using public transporation, and don't plan on being out late at night --- sorry, comes 10 or 11 pm & I'm tucked in. Does anyone have any info about this area, it appears to be off most maps, but near to the harbor.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
Apparently a new Hilton is opening in the Diagonal Mar area, and since they are offering cheap (relatively) opening rates of Eur 139 incl breakfasst + as a HHG I'll get an upgrade + they have an Executive floor + I can use my HH points for my second night + its 'brand spanking new' (& I do really love new modern Hotels )--the fact that it appears very far from the center of town is of less concern to me. What I'm asking is, am I really crazy for valuing the above over being nearer to Las Ramblas? I'm traveling solo to BCN in mid Oct & will only be there for 2 nights. I have no problem using public transporation, and don't plan on being out late at night --- sorry, comes 10 or 11 pm & I'm tucked in. Does anyone have any info about this area, it appears to be off most maps, but near to the harbor.
We stayed this year one night at the (old) Hilton Diagonal. The hotel is pretty good and the location is okay; tram in front of the hotel.. the employees are not overly friendly, professional.
The location of the new Hilton is not too far away....from Ramblas, Gaudi's church (Sagrada Familia) and taxis are not expensive.
Las Ramblas was a little disappointing. Lots of beach-tourists with big tummies, tattoos .... Madrid is nicer, more classy ... Barcelona has the better marketing
A good way to see Barcelona is this the "Barcelona Vision Bus" (hop-on-and-off). Three lines, one goes to the area where the new Hilton is.
The food in Barcelona was good. "Botafumeiro" is a very good seafood restaurant.
http://www.botafumeiro.es/indexen.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.