Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S citizen entering Portugal March 2022 onward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Question U.S citizen entering Portugal March 2022 onward

I'm thinking to visit Portugal and Azores in March.

Can someone share what are the COVID related entry requirements. I have CDC vaccination card. Is it enough? I also have a print out from Epik MyChart with a QR code. I wonder if that's enough? Is a test result required? Any additional mandatory requirements such as an onward flight ticket or mandatory travel insurance?

I want to visit the Azores. I remember last year when I was researching it, the Azores had stricter requirements than mainland Portugal. Is that still the case? Or are the requirements the same Portugal-wide?

Finally, any suggestions from forum members about places outside of the city but near Lisbon? Relaxing places that may have Airbnb options? If I go to Azores, with limited time maybe 1 week, should I just stay on the main island and rent a car? These are just some thoughts. thank you
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I'm thinking to visit Portugal and Azores in March.

Can someone share what are the COVID related entry requirements. I have CDC vaccination card. Is it enough? I also have a print out from Epik MyChart with a QR code. I wonder if that's enough? Is a test result required? Any additional mandatory requirements such as an onward flight ticket or mandatory travel insurance?

I want to visit the Azores. I remember last year when I was researching it, the Azores had stricter requirements than mainland Portugal. Is that still the case? Or are the requirements the same Portugal-wide?

Finally, any suggestions from forum members about places outside of the city but near Lisbon? Relaxing places that may have Airbnb options? If I go to Azores, with limited time maybe 1 week, should I just stay on the main island and rent a car? These are just some thoughts. thank you
Entry requirements as of Feb 19th:
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Am I correct that Americans are still required to do a PCR or antigen test prior to entry or transit, since Americans can't get the EU digital certificate and since the US isn't on the list of countries with a reciprocal agreement for vax cards.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by work2fly
Am I correct that Americans are still required to do a PCR or antigen test prior to entry or transit, since Americans can't get the EU digital certificate and since the US isn't on the list of countries with a reciprocal agreement for vax cards.
It seems so as far as I can tell. That is a big hassle at the last minute for anyone before a big trip. I'm searching around trying to see if there's some way to convert U.S CDC card to one of the E.U digital certificates, but so far no luck.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
It seems so as far as I can tell. That is a big hassle at the last minute for anyone before a big trip. I'm searching around trying to see if there's some way to convert U.S CDC card to one of the E.U digital certificates, but so far no luck.
I am doing the same. Please report back if you find a way, as the Swiss digital certificate is no longer available to non-citizens/residents.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:57 am

FWIW, timatic doesn’t show EUDCC required.

Also United’s country specific entry for Portugal specifically states that CDC card is allowed, updated February 18, 2022.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#ustravelers

All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, must provide valid proof of one of the following tests before their flight to Portugal (except for children younger than 12 years old):
  • A negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken up to 24 hours before departure from the first point of embarkation.Or:
  • A negative COVID-19 NAAT, PCR or RT-PCR test taken up to 72 hours before departure from the first point of embarkation.Or:
  • A qualifying certificate of COVID-19 vaccination in the United States. Travelers vaccinated in the U.S. will need to show their original CDC card, immunization record or digital confirmation with a QR code. Proof of vaccination must show the traveler has been fully vaccinated against COVD-19 at least 14 days and at most 270 days prior to arrival in Portugal unless also holding a booster vaccination.Or:
  • A qualifying certificate of recovery from COVID-19.
In addition, a completed Passenger Locator Card (PLCe) is required prior to boarding – a QR code will be sent once this form is completed and this must be shown at the departure gate. Complete the Passenger Locator Card here: https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/p...r-locator-card

One of the above documents and completed PLC must be shown and verified in order to board a flight to Portugal.

Before their trip, travelers should also check for country-specific guidance to learn more details about what may be required or considered valid for travel.

All travelers are subject to medical screening and may be subject to quarantine for 14 days.

Updated February 18, 2022
FlyingSloth and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by myperks
FWIW, timatic doesn’t show EUDCC required.

Also United’s country specific entry for Portugal specifically states that CDC card is allowed, updated February 18, 2022.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#ustravelers
UA's information doesn't align with the actual rules. I guess this means UA will let you check in, but who knows what happens if/when the certificate is checked upon arrival.

The below is per Sherpa, and is identical to the guidance issued by the Portuguese government:

Currently, certificates from Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Benin, Cabo Verde, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Jordan, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and Vatican City are accepted under reciprocity.

Travelers with access to the EU Digital Certificate, non-EU countries with certificates accepted by the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, or NHS COVID Pass may use it to present proof.

Travelers unable to present a vaccination certificate recognized as valid by the Portuguese government are required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travelers.

Bolding mine.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
UA's information doesn't align with the actual rules. I guess this means UA will let you check in, but who knows what happens if/when the certificate is checked upon arrival.

The below is per Sherpa, and is identical to the guidance issued by the Portuguese government:

Bolding mine.
I get that, but UA’s info is the same as the timatic info which is what the checkin agent will see. Previously timatic did specifically call out EUDCC and acceptable third country certificates, but it doesn’t anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
I get that, but UA’s info is the same as the timatic info which is what the checkin agent will see. Previously timatic did specifically call out EUDCC and acceptable third country certificates, but it doesn’t anymore.
Hopefully Timatic has a crystal ball and can see the change becoming official before I need to travel.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I just took IAD-LIS-xxx on UA/TP and entered Schengen via LIS so was subject to the entry rules of Portugal. I'm vaccinated (over 270 days ago) but not boosted yet so I had a negative test ready to go. United required the negative test to allow me to check in because they correctly showed that my vaccination was over 270 days ago which most European countries don't allow.

Upon arrival in LIS they had the forces out checking entry rules before you were allowed to proceed to immigration. The person checking my stuff simply looked at my passport and then my CDC vaccination card and allowed me in. She couldn't care less about a test and I doubt she knows/knew that I would have had to show it to get on the plane. So, my CDC vaccination card was accepted and she couldn't be bothered to realize I'm past 270 days. Note: I'm only past by a handful of days.

I still would not recommend flying to Portugal with just your CDC card as technically no airline should allow you to board with just that. But, as always, it's down to who checks your docs on arrival in Portugal, how well they know the rules, and how much of a stickler they are.

-RM
joyrenee likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Hmm. If Im reading the rules correctly and travelling from the US, Portugal requires a negative Antigen or PCR test.

But I"m flying through Madrid and connecting on a regional airline. Do I still need a valid negative test?

Am fully vaccinated and 2x boosted.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Hmm. If Im reading the rules correctly and travelling from the US, Portugal requires a negative Antigen or PCR test.

But I"m flying through Madrid and connecting on a regional airline. Do I still need a valid negative test?

Am fully vaccinated and 2x boosted.
The rules exist for Spaniards entering Portugal as well. Just that most of us have EU vaccination certificates so don't need to test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.