Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar, test on arrival for UK Fully Vaccinated passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry

I think I'm correct in saying, that this is the case, that fully vaccinated UK residents, test on arrival at GIB?

What I'm wondering is, what's the benefit of this? What are the rules if you test positive on arrival
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I'm heading to GIB in a couple of weeks and see that a lateral flow needs to be booked and taken on arrival. In some articles it says the test needs to be taken within 24-hours of arrival, but elsewhere I read the test is administered on site at the airport. What's the actual arrangement - will I be swabbed or can I collect the test and administer myself at the hotel? I'm trying to plan how long it will take me to get through the arrivals process.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
I think I'm correct in saying, that this is the case, that fully vaccinated UK residents, test on arrival at GIB?
What I'm wondering is, what's the benefit of this? What are the rules if you test positive on arrival
Yes, you need to take a test within 24 hours of arrival.

Benefit: Epidemiological information to Gibraltar Government Public Health department about both specific virus carriers (so that contact tracing can follow up), and also about the general prevalence of the virus among arriving passengers. Indeed, while the UK gave up on contact tracing, it has been manageable and effective in Gibraltar.

If you test positive you would be required to isolate for 10 days.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by stevebintley
I'm heading to GIB in a couple of weeks and see that a lateral flow needs to be booked and taken on arrival. In some articles it says the test needs to be taken within 24-hours of arrival, but elsewhere I read the test is administered on site at the airport.
Both statements are true!
What's the actual arrangement - will I be swabbed or can I collect the test and administer myself at the hotel? I'm trying to plan how long it will take me to get through the arrivals process.
The test is an administered test (nasal swab), it is NOT a self test. It is done at portakabin hut located outside the entrance to the airport terminal.
You need to do the test within 24 hours of arrival. Given you are at the airport, most people get it done straight away.
However, given the compact nature of Gibraltar, if there is a queue some people (especially local residents) will come back later at another time to get the test done, when a plane has not just arrived.
That said, there are 6 windows/hatches with people doing tests, and normally most of these are open when a flight lands, so it is not that long a wait.

You need to pre-book the test, but you can do this on the free wifi at Gibraltar airport if you have not done so. The site is:
https://www.covidrapidtest.gi/
It costs £30
After you book you will be sent by email a Barcode reference number. They scan this at the window when you do the test, and it retrieves all your details. You normally get the results emailed to you in less than an hour.

Note, you also need to complete your passenger locator form:
https://passengers.egov.gi/
After you fill this in it will ALSO email you a barcode - which gets scanned at immigration, for them to retrieve your locator form details. If people have not done this it is a paper form on arrival

Note the 2 barcodes are very similar, but if you look closely one is labeled 'CovidRapidTest' and the other 'Gibraltar Airport Passenger locator card'.
I point this out as some people get confused.
Everyone should ideally have 2 barcodes (one for imigration at arrival) and one for the test (on arrival or within 24 hours, just outside the terminal).

Hope that helps.
stevebintley likes this.

Last edited by David-A; Nov 13, 2021 at 9:15 am
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by David-A
Both statements are true!

The test is an administered test (nasal swab), it is NOT a self test. It is done at portakabin hut located outside the entrance to the airport terminal.
You need to do the test within 24 hours of arrival. Given you are at the airport, most people get it done straight away.
However, given the compact nature of Gibraltar, if there is a queue some people (especially local residents) will come back later at another time to get the test done, when a plane has not just arrived.
That said, there are 6 windows/hatches with people doing tests, and normally most of these are open when a flight lands, so it is not that long a wait.

You need to pre-book the test, but you can do this on the free wifi at Gibraltar airport if you have not done so. The site is:
https://www.covidrapidtest.gi/
It costs £30
After you book you will be sent by email a Barcode reference number. They scan this at the window when you do the test, and it retrieves all your details. You normally get the results emailed to you in less than an hour.

Note, after you have booked your test it will redirect you to the site to complete your passenger locator form:
https://passengers.egov.gi/
After you fill this in it will ALSO email you a barcode - which gets scanned at immigration, for them to retrieve your locator form details. If people have not done this it is a paper form on arrival

Note the 2 barcodes are very similar, but if you look closely one is labeled 'CovidRapidTest' and the other 'Gibraltar Airport Passenger locator card'.
I point this out as some people get confused.
Everyone should ideally have 2 barcodes (one for imigration at arrival) and one for the test (on arrival or within 24 hours, just outside the terminal).

Hope that helps.
David-A thank you, this is a really thorough summary and feel much more comfortable with what to expect now. Just to cross my fingers I don’t get a positive now…!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.