Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Spain from the US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to Spain from the US

Planning to travel to Spain from the US early May. I have an EU passport (I am an EU Citizen, but not Spanish Citizen.) I am ordinarily a US resident.
I will get the negative PCR test with my passport number on it.
I am travelling to see my Fiancé whom I have been unable to see for 16 months since this damn pandemic began. We had planned to get married in 2020 but this couldn't happen as there was no way for us to even travel to see each other in 2020. She recently moved to Spain for her job (Diplomat.)
Does anyone suspect I will have any issues? Can EU citizens that are US residents enter Spain?
According to the list on the US Embassy in Washington website I can: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/consula...ges/visas.aspx
Direct link to the current latest list of entry requirements: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...11.03.2021.pdf
I am (b) on that list as an EU Citizen of another country.
I just worry I might be denied for not having sufficient valid reason to be flying to Spain.
Should I disclose that I am there to see my domestic partner/fiancé?
I will be there for several months.
This is not a 2 week tourist trip by any means.

I did contact the US Embassy in Washington but they just referred me back to the list I linked to above.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Last summer I entered Spain as a Dual national (Dutch/US citizen) without problems. Because I was worried about getting in, I flew DFW-AMS and then AMS-MAD the next day on a separate ticket, but nobody stopped me or gave me any difficulties. I also flew to FRA direct from DFW in October without complications. My understanding is that essential travel for Spain means EU citizens travelling for any reason. But both of my trips were prior to the latest set of restrictions so your experience may be different.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. It's one thing to read the info online, but its good to see what other people's experience has been. Obviously one's experience can vary greatly based on the customs/immigration official that processes you. I've mostly had fantastic experiences with US customs (CBP) for example, while many other people do not. Anyway, I'm a dual citizen too and US Perm Resident. Hopefully I will have no issues entering Spain and later returning to the US but we shall see. I'll be sure to update this thread with my experience. 😀
spainlover likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by aussiemarty
Planning to travel to Spain from the US early May. I have an EU passport (I am an EU Citizen, but not Spanish Citizen.) I am ordinarily a US resident.
I will get the negative PCR test with my passport number on it.
I am travelling to see my Fiancé whom I have been unable to see for 16 months since this damn pandemic began. We had planned to get married in 2020 but this couldn't happen as there was no way for us to even travel to see each other in 2020. She recently moved to Spain for her job (Diplomat.)
Does anyone suspect I will have any issues? Can EU citizens that are US residents enter Spain?
According to the list on the US Embassy in Washington website I can: Visa information and Requirements
Direct link to the current latest list of entry requirements: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...11.03.2021.pdf
I am (b) on that list as an EU Citizen of another country.
I just worry I might be denied for not having sufficient valid reason to be flying to Spain.
Should I disclose that I am there to see my domestic partner/fiancé?
I will be there for several months.
This is not a 2 week tourist trip by any means.

I did contact the US Embassy in Washington but they just referred me back to the list I linked to above.
You are worrying unneccesarily over this. It is extremely unlikely any airline will check your motivation for travel. Your motivation will not be checked by the Spanish authorities. I have landed in MAD and BCN multiple times during the pandemic with my EU passport and nobody is asking me any questions. In any case, Spain's doors are open to anyone who is resident in the country. Since you are going to LIVE with your fiance in Spain, you would fall under that category.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am probably worrying unccessarrily.
Only caveat is: live* for a few months, before returning to the US. My job is still in the US, so I will be splitting about half the year in the US and half in Spain for the foreseeable future. I actually need to avoid becoming a Spanish tax resident and remain a US tax resident, so I will be max 182 days.
But it sounds like I will have no issues.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EX P, HH P
I am also dual US/EU citizen and entered Spain from the US last week with zero issues.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Posting this info in case it helps anyone else:

Here is the current order:
https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-2020-8099
With modifications:
https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-2021-4849
https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-2021-7051

(If you're using Google Chrome you can just right click and translate to english.)

As for EU citizens like myself, the restrictions and exemptions for third country nationals do not apply:

Both the restrictions and the exempted categories refer to third-country nationals, given that, with the entry into force of Order INT / 578/2020, of June 29, citizens of the Union and their families, and other beneficiaries of the right to free movement, have already been outside the scope of application of the temporary restrictions at Spain's external borders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.