Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Flying from Barcelona to Palma (Mallorca/Majorca) - which airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Dreaming that everything will be close to normal again for our 20th anniversary in 2022, and starting to plan a bit for a trip - from Canada, 4-5 days in Barcelona, Mediterranean Cruise in/out of Barcelona, and then a week in Mallorca.

We would be off the cruise ship in the morning on probably a Saturday, either in May or September. Not sure if that really matters, but I'm looking for advice on which airline to choose. Keep in mind we won't have carry-on only, not a ton of luggage, but we will have one large suitcase to check plus a carry-on (and we would ensure that carry-on meets Euro regulations).

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice or experiences to share
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
It's a very short flight (under an hour) so I don't think it makes a huge deal of difference.

In economy, regardless of carrier, you'll need to buy a fare which includes checked baggage and there sadly won't be any onboard catering included.

This said, I'd avoid Ryanair. The other two options at the moment are either Air Europa or Vueling, I think. Barcelona is Vueling's hub, so they have a fair few flights per day, but so does Air Europa. Assuming you don't have Skyteam status, or Iberia Oro or Platino, I'd just choose the one which offers the best value after adding the checked baggage allowance you need. Once you're onboard, there really isn't any difference between them to be honest.
WorkerBee74 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much - that's good info. I have heard that Ryanair should be avoided at all costs - I will be looking more into this next fall. I don't have status so it wouldn't really matter too much, sounds like I might get a 20€ flight but baggage might cost another 50€ - haha. We're ready for that eventuality though. How I wish I could just 'backpack' it but with the length of our trip it isn't an option, flights within Canada are so expensive that even if it cost us 100€ each one-way we'd consider it an OK price

PS - I'm looking at your blog too - some good info there! Thanks again for the reply.
jackr27 likes this.

Last edited by WorkerBee74; Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 pm
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorkerBee74
(and we would ensure that carry-on meets Euro regulations).
I cannot even begin to imagine or guess what travel will be like in 2022, let alone with a cruise ship in the mix.

What I do know as having been true up until now is that there are no “Euro regulations” when it comes to hand baggage/carry on. Each airline makes and polices its own rules in this regard. What is allowed will be determined solely by the company you use to fly.

As a European veteran, my advice it to remain flexible and creative. Take a roll of duct tape and a thin, tough outer bag which can be folded around anything. A few compression straps, a metric measuring tape and you’re golden!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its 2022 and we are flying Vueling from BCN to PMI.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
In June I am flying Air Europe, MAD-PMI and the return a couple of weeks later.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just wanted to update.

Air Europa was a great experience in business class. Will fly them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.