Community
Wiki Posts
Search

January in Spain - Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm under no illusions about the weather -- the last time I was in Madrid and Barcelona was in December. Personally I find it easier to walk more when it's cool, so I think we'll be OK. Just crossing our fingers that we won't get too much rain -- that's the only thing that would really put a damper on for us.

We've cut down our ambitions a bit -- for various reasons we're likely to find ourselves back near Barcelona in the next couple of years, so we are just making a brief stop there and then taking the train to Seville. Saving Valencia for that next trip as well.

We are trying now to balance what all we want to do in Andalucia -- I think we will have seven nights there in total before heading to Madrid. Still working on figuring out how to divide up that time, although we both think Cadiz sounds really lovely. The hardest decision has been trying to decide whether to spend a few days in Granada, stop there for a quick trip to the Alhambra, or save it for another
The itenary you are planning is definitely a good one from a weather point of view.

Seville is a good base for a few days, winter is less crowded and if you're lucky you could even enjoy t-shirt weather in January.

Personally I would save Granada for another trip, because it's a long way to get there from Seville, and you would enjoy it better in warmer weather - June or Seprember would be ideal months to visit Granada as the higher elevation produces cool nights and warm days.

When you go from Seville to Madrid by train, do consider stopping over for a day trip to Cordoba. You can leave luggage in a left-luggage place opposite the station, walk or taxi to the mosque cathedral and have lunch etc before taking an evening train to Madrid (2 hours). The mosque cathedral is absolutely fascinating and can be enjoyed in all weather 😁
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally really enjoyed my winter visit to Granada. The night time temperature may have been colder than Alicante, but, once inside, the buildings, bars and restaurants were much more suited to being warm and hospitable (Coastal Alicante is more humid and, once the sun goes down, the cold gets into my bones there).
Granada has a sizeable student population and that keeps the bar scene interesting and lively. It gets cold, but not excessively, and it’s dry - drier anyway than most of the other places the OP has mentioned.
I have fonder memories of Granada in the winter than I do of visiting in the Spring and Summer. Perhaps (for me anyway) it’s because its personality as an intimate mountain town shines the brightest then, and it’s when the qualities that set it apart as somewhere unique and special (even from “similar” mountain towns such as Alcoy) become most apparent.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Thanks for that perspective, LapLap . I know what you mean -- I find a foggy 40F in San Francisco less tolerable than a sunny 20F here in Boston, often!

I think we're going to try to go, but book a fully refundable hotel and transport. That way if the weather forecast looks terrible, we can change plans for those few days.
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:56 am

Hi dremit,

If you're looking for activities like walking tours, food & wine experiences, and other activities led by locals (or tours by bike/private car if your ankle is still acting up) check out toureaux.com. You can book tours in Barcelona, as well as a few other Spanish cities (San Sebastian, Girona, Cordoba). Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.