Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Credit cards/ATM card in Spain

Credit cards/ATM card in Spain

Old Sep 29, 18, 7:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Posts: 895
Credit cards/ATM card in Spain

Will I have any issues with my credit cards or ATM card in Spain as far as chips or being able to be read. Any tips? Thank you.
mphall is offline  
Old Sep 30, 18, 9:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI,IAD,DCA
Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 599
Originally Posted by mphall View Post
Will I have any issues with my credit cards or ATM card in Spain as far as chips or being able to be read. Any tips? Thank you.
I had no problems with ATM or credit cards throughout Europe or the Middle East. You should not have a problem. Be sure to use cards that have no foreign transaction fees.
mphall likes this.
powerlifter is offline  
Old Oct 1, 18, 5:37 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,468
Highly recommend using NFC payments via Google Pay as well if you don't want to pull out your wallet/CC every time. Many restaurants and stores accepted NFC payments if you mentioned "NFC".
mphall likes this.
Jimgotkp is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SNA; LAX
Posts: 189
No issues when using my Chase and Citi cards even on the metro automated ticketing machines.
Agree with @Jimgotkp, Google/Apple pay is even more convenient. At the restaurant, just tell them, "tarjeta" and the mobile credit card machine typically will accept contactless payments.
mphall likes this.
miuk is offline  
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:01 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Posts: 895
Only issue was buying online ticket for Real Alcazar

Despite numerous attempts both at hotel and iphone, we could not buy tickets for this attraction, Card was denied. It turned out pretty bad because we waited 2 hours in the hot sun to buy tickets. After that, with only two windows open for tickets, you wait in line to buy the audio tour. Very poorly organized. The crowds are huge because of Game of Thrones filming.
mphall is offline  
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:59 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by mphall View Post
Despite numerous attempts both at hotel and iphone, we could not buy tickets for this attraction, Card was denied. It turned out pretty bad because we waited 2 hours in the hot sun to buy tickets. After that, with only two windows open for tickets, you wait in line to buy the audio tour. Very poorly organized. The crowds are huge because of Game of Thrones filming.
S-it happens. But generally there is no problem using CCs anywhere in Spain.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Strangeville
Posts: 29
There is no problem using most Ccs in Spain.
Just know that every Spaniard Debit and Credit card has a chip and therefore a 4 digit pin. Using NFC is a good advise as many USA cards don't use a chip or a pin and therefore can be denided in Spain.
EerieVon is offline  
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:02 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,326
Originally Posted by EerieVon View Post
There is no problem using most Ccs in Spain.
Just know that every Spaniard Debit and Credit card has a chip and therefore a 4 digit pin. Using NFC is a good advise as many USA cards don't use a chip or a pin and therefore can be denided in Spain.
US cards generally have chips now but as mentioned above, NFC with a mobile device is still likely going to be less of a hassle due to signatures and lack of contactless functionality. (Though the latter is slowly changing, so tapping a physical card might end up becoming commonplace for Americans at some point.)
tmiw is offline  
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:11 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,284
Originally Posted by mphall View Post
Despite numerous attempts both at hotel and iphone, we could not buy tickets for this attraction, Card was denied. It turned out pretty bad because we waited 2 hours in the hot sun to buy tickets. After that, with only two windows open for tickets, you wait in line to buy the audio tour. Very poorly organized. The crowds are huge because of Game of Thrones filming.
Which kind of bank card were you trying to use and which bank issued the card? Did you try to have the tickets purchased one at a time to minimize the chance of a card rejection, and were you trying to use a self-service ticket purchase process or a staffed ticket seller?

At Versailles in France, for example, the automated ticket machines wouldn't work for me using any of my US bank cards, but then I figured out a work around -- buy one ticket at a time using a different bank card for each ticket purchase.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 3,654
A big issue in using cc in Spain Is unrelenting Dynamic Currency Conversion. Many local cafes and similar shops have processing machines that automatically run transactions through in dollars if the card is US. Then the merchant acts dumb and suddenly loses all English skills.

In a Toledo lunch spot, I refused to sign the receipt unless the charge was re-run in Euros. The man behind the counter laughed, threw the unsigned receipt in the register and went on to the next customer. Sure, you can deny the charge with your bank, but how much time are you going to spend to get 60 cents back?

i just started using cash for smaller purchases and saved cc for hotels, real restaurants and larger stores. Attractions were all ok with cards.
Mountain Trader is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:29 am
  #11  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,786
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
i just started using cash for smaller purchases and saved cc for hotels, real restaurants and larger stores. Attractions were all ok with cards.
When we were in Spain this summer, I preempted the issue by asking each time that I used a credit card to process the transaction in Euros. None of my transactions were DCCed and I probably spent less than Ä100 in cash in the two weeks that we were there.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 3,654
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
When we were in Spain this summer, I preempted the issue by asking each time that I used a credit card to process the transaction in Euros. None of my transactions were DCCed and I probably spent less than Ä100 in cash in the two weeks that we were there.
Good idea in hotels, restaurants and larger shops. Did me little good in smaller places. They either truly didnít understand, or more likely, were in on the scam.
Mountain Trader is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 8:34 am
  #13  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,786
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post


Good idea in hotels, restaurants and larger shops. Did me little good in smaller places. They either truly didnít understand, or more likely, were in on the scam.
"En Euros, por favor" did the trick each and every time.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:07 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 10,434
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
A big issue in using cc in Spain Is unrelenting Dynamic Currency Conversion. Many local cafes and similar shops have processing machines that automatically run transactions through in dollars if the card is US. Then the merchant acts dumb and suddenly loses all English skills.

In a Toledo lunch spot, I refused to sign the receipt unless the charge was re-run in Euros. The man behind the counter laughed, threw the unsigned receipt in the register and went on to the next customer. Sure, you can deny the charge with your bank, but how much time are you going to spend to get 60 cents back?

i just started using cash for smaller purchases and saved cc for hotels, real restaurants and larger stores. Attractions were all ok with cards.
Use AMEX whenever possible. AMEX does not allow DCC.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:49 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jupiter, FL
Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 16,751
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Use AMEX whenever possible. AMEX does not allow DCC.
Good to know. My go to card anyway.

When we were in Madrid last year, a co-workers card didn't work as one of the automated machines. But I can't remember for what. If I had to guess, I would think it was for a train ticket to Toledo. Or it could have been for the palace entrance.
pbiflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread