Lisbon (LIS) connection - consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon (LIS) connection - consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: CO, UA Premier
Question Transit Time at Lisbon Airport?

Looking at flights from the USA to Italy via Lisbon for my daughter. There is one option that only has 1.5 hours in Lisbon between flights. She will be travelling on a student visa. Is this enough time for her to clear immigration control and security screening between flights? Thanks.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
It should be just enough time, but could possibly not be enough if her first flight is delayed or there are delays at immigration. Things to ask yourself:
- is she on one through ticket? if so, she will be protected in case of a misconnect, and would be placed on the next available flight; if not, I would not risk 1.5 hours
- are there more (later) flights to her Italian city from LIS that day?
Old May 7, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Keep in mind or look out for any disruption due to strike etc. I was there back in April and it took me almost 3-4 hour just to pass through security and immigration. thankfully my flight was delayed. Only one lane was opened for immigration for international passports and it was a zoo in security lanes. I heard there was a strike and only few officers were working that day.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
As a rule of thumb, plan on an hour to clear immigration in LIS in the summer. It's a zoo and the gov't is doing nothing about it. I'd chance the 1.5 hour layover. They usually take people with short connections to the front of the line.
If she misses it, the airline will reaccommodate her on the next flight.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would just say that in April Lisbon airport was considerably busier (even at 5:30am) and therefore much slower than I had expected for a departure flight to LHR. This was not due to any strike or work slowdown on the date I was there. Also not laid out particularly well. 1.5 hrs would be tight. That said, it's more worth the risk on her way TO Italy than on the way home, because there will be more intra-European flights that she can be accommodated on if she misses the connection. Going back home, she likely has fewer TA options and if she misses that, it may mean extra stop(s) or waiting until the next day.

Last edited by monvoyage; Jun 1, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by monvoyage
I would just say that in April Lisbon airport was considerably busier (even at 5:30am) and therefore much slower than I had expected. This was not sue to any strike or work slowdown on the date I was there. Also not laid out particularly well. 1.5 hrs would be tight. That said, it's more worth the risk on her way TO Italy than on the way home, because there will be more intra-European flights that she can be accommodated on if she misses the connection. Going back home, she likely has fewer TA options and if she misses that, it may mean extra stop(s) or waiting until the next day.
5:30AM to 8AM is the busiest time at immigration - you have redeye flights from Africa and the Americas all landing around the same time and the immigration hall turns into a zoo. The next batch of non-Schengen flights land around 10:30AM-noon but it's much quieter in comparison. The third, even smaller, bank of non-Schengen flights is around 3:30PM-5PM.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was departing to LHR. But your advice is on point for this young lady, who may be looking at an early morning arrival.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Lisbon connection

we are flying from Porto, Portugal to Lisbon on TAP and then need to transfer to United to US. We only have 1 hr 45 min...can we make this?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk Walkerrph! We're going to move this thread to a forum where you are more likely to receive an answer. Have a pleasant flight.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz Co-Moderator
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Walkerrph
we are flying from Porto, Portugal to Lisbon on TAP and then need to transfer to United to US. We only have 1 hr 45 min...can we make this?
If both flights are on one PNR, your bags will be checked through and you will have absolutely no problem making this connection.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm

Lisbon connection

Ticket from Porto to Lisbon on TAP is separate from ticket of Lisbon to US...travel agent really screwed up giving us correct info...figure we’ll be in same terminal but have to go get luggage, check in at UA and TSA, Passport could create problems with less than 2 hr timeframe
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Both TAP and United are Star Alliance airlines. When checking your bags in Oporto, ask to have them checked through to your final destination. If successful, that should take care of your problem, otherwise, you'd be getting awfully close to United's baggage check-in cut off in LIS.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
If your OPO-LIS flight is on time, I think you could make the connection. But for some reason, in my experience, the Porto flights have a pretty poor on-time reliability. It very well could be my luck though.

If it's your first time, Lisbon airport can be a bit confusing to transfer in. And if TP doesn't check the bags through, you'll need to walk quickly because security and exit immigration can take a while.

So just hope they through check your bags (or travel with only carry-on) and you'll be fine
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:34 pm

Thx..I’ve tried to get answers from TAP and UA if we could check thru knowing their alliance members...get conflicting answers. We’ll be in Lisbon a couple of days before heading to Porto so will check when we land. Figured it could be tight if I can’t check bags thru...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
On separate tickets you should not expect the luggage to be tagged to the final destination. This means that you will need to exit and go landslide to retrieve your bags and recheck them. You will then go through security (there is no TSA in Portugal) and exit formalities. If your flight to Lisbon is late, there is a fair chance you’ll miss your United flight, meaning you’re on your own getting home. Bad travel agent!
JDiver and Yoshi212 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.