Search

MAD - Tres Cantos by train - please check me

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
MAD - Tres Cantos by train - please check me

Thanks in advance

I have an Iberia flight arriving this Friday 6am at MAD heading to a hotel in Tres Cantos

I want to try the train (first time)

T4 - heading to a hotel in Tres Cantos, rome2rio gave me a nice set of directions, transfer in Charmartin...

Need to return on this route Sunday morning around 7am.

I also need to leave a large piece of luggage at the baggage storage station at MAD, picking up on return on Sunday.

Tips, advice, anyone seeing anything that might be a problem? Appreciate it
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
You can also leave luggage at the airport, if that's easier.

As far as getting there, yeah that's pretty much it. Take C1/C10 to Chamartín and then change to C4 to Colmenar Viejo. Note that there are two branches of C4 line and only the Colmenar one passes by Tres Cantos. I imagine you're staying either at the Holiday Inn Express or the Quo which is near the station and attached to the station building respectively. Be sure you are getting on the cercanías train rather than the metro. The tickets are from the red machines and the entrance is at the far north end of the terminal past the metro entrance.

Conversely you can also take the 827 bus directly from T4 and it should take about an hour and drops you right at the train station. In that case you would just pay the driver directly in cash.

For the return trip, you'd have to get either the 5:59 train or 6:24 leaving Tres Cantos to make it on time.

You can consult the schedule here:

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

Realistically, if it's possible, a taxi would be loads more convenient though it would be 30-35€ each way.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

wow - great stuff. Thanks.

I'm a frequent flyer on this route (transport for galgos) and ironically the taxi costs are sometimes higher than my lodging. So I figured I would give this a try, at least TO the hotel as I am on no time restraint. And yes - HI Ex - on Pointsbreaks ^

Now I am intrigued by this bus option. Doable with a carry-on bag? It sounds easier.

I see there is a luggage storage/drop for a fee at t4 in MAD, is this what you mean as I was planning on using that? I have a checked bag full of doggie coats and such, no need to carry with me as it goes to the rescues meeting me on Sunday and it is heavy!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:10 pm

Yeah, that's the option I was referring to. I believe it's 10€ per day for luggage. No idea how much it is in Chamartín.

The bus is absolutely doable with carry-on, it takes an annoyingly circuitous route through Alcobendas, though. There is a small area where you can leave luggage on the bus, IIRC (It's been about 2 years since I've used it). Just go out to the same area where the long distance buses are and the terminal transfer bus and find the sign with 827 in green and make sure it's toward Tres Cantos and not Canillejas.

Here is that schedule

http://www.empresamontes.es/index.ph...ea-827-horario
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Lupine Chemist! I went with the train - simple and straight forward. Getting to Tres Cantos was a breeze as I purchased my ticket from the Renfe office but getting from Tres Cantos to T4 was a challenge at the kiosk - luckily someone assisted me.

I'm repeating the journey this Friday to bring home 6 more dogs, wondering if I could purchase the return ticket from the T4 - MAD office on the Friday for the Sunday morning return trip?

Thanks again - you were a great help.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by redreeper
Thank you Lupine Chemist! I went with the train - simple and straight forward. Getting to Tres Cantos was a breeze as I purchased my ticket from the Renfe office but getting from Tres Cantos to T4 was a challenge at the kiosk - luckily someone assisted me.

I'm repeating the journey this Friday to bring home 6 more dogs, wondering if I could purchase the return ticket from the T4 - MAD office on the Friday for the Sunday morning return trip?

Thanks again - you were a great help.
No issue. Just be sure to get the return ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.